Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi guys ever heard of a 97 legacy outback safari edtion?

trust me i tried google searching already

and i swear on my life im not making this up what would i possibly to gain from making this up?

I did a google search too and I only found 2 references... one was a for sale ad for a safari edition outback in RI and the other was a post on NAISOC about rims on that car.

As to whether it adds any value to the car- it all depends on your buyer. I personally don't like wood trim and those rims, so it would do nothing for me, but there's probably folks out there that might like it.

trust me i tried google searching already

and i swear on my life im not making this up what would i possibly to gain from making this up?

Julez, Please be at ease. Nipper was teasing. It is his way of saying that he could find no information at all. Someone had mentioned earlier that the Safari edition was only produced for a few months. That would both make the car a rarity, and dificult to get information about. Are there any other features other than the wood trim and badging that you can tell us about in the car? Well, the wheels would be one, as they do not look like the usual Outback wheels from 97 (they do look good, though). It seems to me that you will likely be providing us with more infornation that we can to you, though.

care to share the vin number, usually that has details in there about special packages.

i too found the reference to the safari wheels, and how they are 8 spokes.

and yes i was teasing

still think thats pretty good graphics for someone to do (hehehe)

nipper

sorry to get overexcited, but i sent an email to the expert on subarus, (a few posts back) i will send him the last 8 letters of my vin and he will help me as soon as i learn of anything, i will post here

well got an email back, this is exactly what it said

It's a 97 Outback with the cold weather packake which was heated seats,

block heater and heated mirrors. Wood trim was an option those years as

was keyless entry, cd players etc etc but it doesn't show anything was

factory installed so I expect it's a made-up package name either by the

dealer or perhaps by the regional Subaru wholesaler.

Sold at Helmut's in Bridgeport, Ct, 11/25/96

Anyway, it's a 97 Outback (code VBX) and if that doesn't sound right I can

try to dig up more but suspect that's all there is to it...

Nice car...

thanks guys for helping me, i guess its not really a rare edition, thanks for helping though!

I saw a rocky mountain edition outback on ebay a few days back, and it was about the same thing (cold weather package, cd player, and special "Rocky Mountain Edition" badges) so, i guess special local editions seem to be common. But enjoy your car, and take care of it. someone will surely pay more money for the fact its a special edition (just gotta find em....)

I saw a rocky mountain edition outback on ebay a few days back, and it was about the same thing (cold weather package, cd player, and special "Rocky Mountain Edition" badges) so, i guess special local editions seem to be common. But enjoy your car, and take care of it. someone will surely pay more money for the fact its a special edition (just gotta find em....)

My 99 OBW is a "Rocky Mountain Edition."

I think what may have happened is that regional dealers put together special "packages" and then gave them names, which would not appear on anything from Subaru, since it wasn't Subaru that gave them the name. I'm assuming the "safari" name and paint was put on at the dealer level.

See attached photo of my OBW. It's a little fuzzy, but you can make out the "Rocky Mountain Edition" lettering on the door and front fender.

post-537-136027608003_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Montana dealers have put out a 'Grizzly' edition. Maroon and silver outbacks with U of M mascot graphics. I think only the Missoula dealer, actually now that I think about it. I suppose the Bozeman dealer could've done a Cats version.