Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru gas mileage

Moved this to a new thread...

does anybody know if a dying fuel pump can temporarily raise your gas mileage? mine's very good on gas but from what i hear from everybody else, subarus aren't that great on gas.

What do you mean bad on gas?

I've gotten

'89 GL wagon 5spd SPFI ~26mpg, 31mpg on highway trip (went faster than the older ones...)

'85 GL wagon 5spd carbed ~25mpg, 32mpg on highway trip

'84 GL wagon 4spd ~24mpg, 29mpg on highway trip

'82 GL wagon 4spd~26mpg, declining to ~23mpg as carb wore out. 36mpg on one half tank (highway trip going mostly downhill for about 250 miles :) )

I think the lowest I've ever gotten in any of them is 17mpg on the '82, which was alot of dirt road low range driving. 22 - 24 is pretty normal in wintertime if I'm in 4wd for snow, and letting them warm up.

I drive pretty fast, but accellerate slow (people call me grandma in town, but were a little suprised once I got on the mountain roads and don't slow down on curves -- my front tires show it...)

the 4EAT on the XT6 gets the same highway mileage as the AWD manual trans in the XT6. technically i've actually gotten better in my AWD auto than any manuals and i've owned like 10 XT6's. best auto AWD highway mileage was 28.5...never quite gotten to 28 on the manuals...upper 27 range.

the reason you wonder...the manuals are geared lower. at 75 the auto is doing 3,000 rpm's while the manual is pushing 4,000. these are really rough numbers, but you get the point. i find it annoying too....going 80 the motor is loud on the manual because the RPM's are so high.

manuals have 3.9 gear ratio and the auto's have 3.7. this is all XT6 specific numbers and info.

My XT6 (AWD 5-speed) gets in the 26's on my 11-mile commute. It pretty much stays there even going 80 over to the state line. I've had it get nearly 29 before, but that's only occasionally and only when I'm driving all county roads at 50-60 with no stop signs.

I agree with Gary about the AT vs. MT: the AT in the XT6 should out-do the MT by a skosh, but they're pretty much the same.

the older 3at thru 86 and the turbo 3 at have a 3.7 final drive, whereas the 87 and up no n turbo at has a 3.9

the 92 loyale i just traded got 325 miles out of the same tank of gas, with just under 1/8th to spare, average 60 mph

i find average speed and driving habit plays a lot in fuel economy. with the price of gas i keep my speed around 62 mph average for long distance driving

my best fuel economy was 473 miles ona full tank, past full to the filler neck to running out of gas. columbus ohio to the last oasis north of chicago

the same car towed my rx from fort wayne indiana to milwaukee wisconsin on the same tank of gas

I have an 83 subaru with the three speed auto and at 4000 rpms and 75 mph for a 4 hour roundtrip trip to massachusetts it got an average of 27 mpg. I don't think thats too bad for a little ol' three speed eh?

I'm sure automatics are capable of good gas mileage if you're careful how you drive. But my Loyale gets 28 MPG driving in street traffic every day, and I make no particular attempt to drive economically, plus it's had the CEL on for about two years. On a highway trip at 75-80, it gets 33. There are members here who claim as much as 39, and I just can't believe you could do that with an auto. At the very least, the revs seem to be higher vs a 5 speed for a given speed.

With my 88'gl, I got about 25mpg on my commute.

I get about 25 with my '92 Loyal on my commute(about 20 miles each way), and I got 28-30mpg on my trip to Atlanta last weekend with a spare tire and gas can on the roof rack.

My fiancee's 93 Loyal(5spd, 4x4) was getting 27mpg no matter what we did, but it seems to be dropping lately, I need to see if we need a new motor........

Don

'98 Legacy Outback 2.5L DOHC 4EAT AWD was getting about 26-28mpg hwy.

Modern automatc trannys that incorporate a lockup type torque converter should do as well as any standard for highway driving, save for weighing a bit more. After all, when you are cruising in top gear and the tranny has locked the torque converter, the drivetrain is as direct as with a manual transmission. City driving mileage is impacted a bit however.

-Nassor

'89 XT-6 FrWD (retired at just over 200k mi., running fine w/lifter tick)

'98 Legacy OB 2.5L DOHC (spun rod bearing)