Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stumbled here from the subaru.sonik site and have been reading posts every chance I get for the last few days. Thanks for all the great stuff. Have gotten more answers to some age old questions than ive been able to find anywhere else.

Ive Got so many questions and comments that ill have to narrow it down a little or my post will be too big to fit on 10 pages.

Ive been told that changing the tire size on a 90 thru 94 legacy wagon will tear things up and I have noticed not any pictures of legacys with lift kits and larger wheels. It never fails that when I get a little carried away out in the dirt that I end up tearing a CV boot or scraping somewhere that I dont want too. Has anyone had any luck with bigger tires on these models?

This is the second wagon ive had first was a 91 legacy and they both had mystery button spaces in the dash. The other day I was actually reading the worthless chilton manual I have and noticed that that missing button was for air shocks. Has anyone seen a factory model with air shocks? Sounds like an interesting idea not that it would help my aim at those sharp rocks much but may keep me from high centering.

My first suby was a 1975 which I finally rolled back in 82 after a three or four years of non stop fun. If I lived in texas it would have been the perfect car. Ran great on the flats but going up hill was a slow process. Down hill and snow was white knuckles all the way.

Im in the process of picking up another 90's legacy wagon that I would like to turn into the rock beater just to keep old brownie off the rocks and on the road. Just dropped a newer engine in after a major timing belt fiasco at 160k. Thats another story, lesson learned.

Thanks for all the good info

jk

I dont think you want to "upgrade" to the air struts. Most people usually replace them with non air struts as the car ages, due to the great expense of the parts. I dont even know if they are even available for some years anymore on the part shelf.

There are lift kits around, but I dont know if its available for your car or not, others would know.

And welcome :)

Joe

I second the welcome, and offer you this advice: stay away from the dual height shocks. They are prone to failure, ad for that reason, most people swap them out. Yes there are lift kits available, but finding one for your model year may be dificult. Putting bigger wheels and tires should not cause serious problem if you keep them all the same size as each other. Also note that the higher you lift the car the worse the handling will be in comparison to the original height. Annother problem is fit: if you go too big/wide, you will start hitting parts of the car with the tires themselves, so you will have to lift again (at least). If this is for a second car|strictly offroad beater, then this is less of an issue. For a Daily driver, however, this can turn into an expensive option.

still not certain how this fancy message board works for sure....

ive never seen a suby with stock air shocks

didnt even check to see what this new rig is but im following instinct and a possible killer buy.

my past experience with air shocks (old ford) wasnt worth it and caused more damage than good

just curious more than anything to know if anyone has ever seen a stock rig with them in tact..

It looks like there is enough clearance to run a stock outback or toyota rim and some beafy snow tires but that probably wouldnt give me the clearance im looking 4.

And cause some turning clearance problems..

I think the lift kit option sounds promising and if I win the lottery tommorw night I think that will be my first purchace.

man thanks for the patience with this heionous newby

have no clue what im doing with the message board

its the fanciest one ive ever posted on

thanks gnu

mayby it would make more sence one of the linux boxes...

I've read that tires for snow (I guess snow on pavement) should ideally be narrower than stock - certainly not wider.

But off road I'd expect you want a serious lift and/or rolled fenders to accomodate very large tires. Then again, less offset in the rims will stress the bearings. Again, not an issue with a 'beater'. getting a dual range tranny from overseas or something would be a huge blessing but others may know if thats do-able.

sounds like you're planning a fun project!

Carl

:lol:

hehe its ok, we dont bite, and everyone has to start someplace :)

Joe

man could just ramble on forever,,,,,,,

first a few tearz

the engine i took out of brownie was a strong 165k er and fell victim to a badly torqued crank pulley

i didnt do it myself but the shop that did wouldnt take care of it ans it chewed the crank up beyond repair

by the time i woke up and checked out the noise it was too late

good news is I got another 40 some thousand out of it by JB welding the pully back onto the crank on a night not unlike this one with a good moon shining.

mayby a buzz on too

it lasted over 4 years

was parked for over year while i blew some carbon out of my old 72 ford 3/4 ton

when it finally came loose i tried with no luck to repeat the same jb weld job

lasted 3 or 4 days

wasnt the origional jb weld brand

all i could find on my way home was some crap called devcon

the con should have tipped me off

where is the JB when you need it??

ok guess I should stop rambling...

waiting on a call for this new 90 something legacy wagon

shes a rust bucket but i dont care cause dents aint gunna show where shes gunna go!!!!

man the suby fantasies i can see with the new maroon unit!!!

the front quarter skins are gone but like ive said it doent matter

the info from this site about lift kits and the re-assurance and advice that the gears(with proper driving skillz) can handle the tourque lead me to.. in vision a bussy,,,half van half dune buggy

something like an elongated vw bus morph but with suby ...

Dirt kicken -cng snortin-rock climbing Hell wagon

living entity

transport unit

we might as well make it anti roadside bomb proof while im trippin

hard

too many balloonz at the show for jk

man am i trippin?

guess i dont get out much

sure is good to find some info somewhere

now where did i put it?

I've read that tires for snow (I guess snow on pavement) should ideally be narrower than stock - certainly not wider.

But off road I'd expect you want a serious lift and/or rolled fenders to accomodate very large tires. Then again, less offset in the rims will stress the bearings. Again, not an issue with a 'beater'. getting a dual range tranny from overseas or something would be a huge blessing but others may know if thats do-able.

sounds like you're planning a fun project!

Carl

I'm gussing that you are trying to make sense of my nick, with that Linux box comment. I can see no other referrence. YesI build Linux networks and servers as a consultant. I also do mobile auto repair, specialzing in Subies (cause I love them so much, and too many get abandonded for lack of a place that will work on them affordably), and covering most of the San Francisco Bay area (and a bit inland as well)

Your only problem is the Legacy was designed for the road. If you went up two wheel sizes from 14" to 16" you 'd only gain an inch of clearance, then maybe another inch at the most with higher profile tires. I don't think that is what you are looking for.

If you win the lotto, you could buy a real hummer with the military ground clearance, not that piece of crap they are selling at the dealerships.

Got your nick.

Im a linux fan myself

Just a few issues I havent been able to overcome so I keep this win98 box going to surf on.

Use the linux machines mainly to do word processing and record sound on.

Get some odd ole errors ocasionally but other than that I love the linux.

I'm gussing that you are trying to make sense of my nick, with that Linux box comment. I can see no other referrence. YesI build Linux networks and servers as a consultant. I also do mobile auto repair, specialzing in Subies (cause I love them so much, and too many get abandonded for lack of a place that will work on them affordably), and covering most of the San Francisco Bay area (and a bit inland as well)

that would be a good project!

Theres some nice dunes not too far away from here

Ive had my legacy in places where the big guys cant touch

Its almost like it floats across muddy places where the big guys sink up to the doors

Might actually be easier and just as much fun to make a sand rail or dune buggy. Soobs are light and with the right tires can swim up dunes that other 4-bys have trouble with.