Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX vs GL?

Beyond trim and bagdeing the RX package includes (some of these features were options on the GLs)…

Early RX ’85-‘86, Sedan

Checkerboard interior

Body kit

Stiffer spring and struts

Larger sway bars

Turbo engine (EA82T)

Part time dual range 5-speed trans (1.5:1 low range)

LSD rear diff

Late RX ’87-‘89, Sedan and 3-door Coupe (Coupe only in '89)

White only (Black only in ’89)

Body kit

Stiffer spring and struts

Larger sway bars

Turbo engine (EA82T)

Full time dual range 5-speed trans with center diff lock (1.2:1 low range) (4EAT available in ’89)

LSD rear diff

What did I miss?

Gary

the rx was a different body and has a really cool driveterrain i know about the setup but not enough to elaborate and give you accurate information

the gl is the luxary model if i am correct but it came in three body styles if i am right a hatchback, a sedan and, a wagon.

the rx is just a two door coup

GL-10 is the top of the line lux model....GL is the middle...DL is the stripped down econo version.

RXs in 1985 and 1986 were only in sedan form.

RXs in 1987 and 1988 were avalible in sedan and 3 door coupe.

1989 was coupe only for RX.

DL, GL, GL-10 came in 4 ways.....Sedan, Wagon, 3 Door Coupe, and XT. GL and GL-10 had turbo option avalible. ALL had 4WD and FT4WD (1987+) optional. RX's had FT4WD standard from 87+, and PT4WD in 85 and 86.

XT's also came in XT6 (2.7 flat 6, 145 hp 156 tq) form in 1988 1989 and 1991.

the rx was a different body and has a really cool driveterrain i know about the setup but not enough to elaborate and give you accurate information

the gl is the luxary model if i am correct but it came in three body styles if i am right a hatchback, a sedan and, a wagon.

the rx is just a two door coup

how can you say it was just a two door coupe? i just died a little inside:(

All talk was close... but...

No body kit offered in 85-86, not even a front skirt.

Checkerboard interior was 85 only.

1985 models were an enthusiast's type car, no power options at all. Not even power steering!

All RX models had special super-grippy seats. The 1985's were a checkered flag pattern, 1986 was two-tone color coded to match the interior (saw a blue set at the yard once), 1987-89 were always two tone gray with vinyl sides.

All RX's came standard with a rear limited slip differential.

1985-86 RX's were sedan only and available in any color.

1987-88 RX's were available as sedans or coupes. Most models had a full body kit, BUT some 1987 sedans were available as a stripped-down model with no body kit, just the front skirt. ALL cars with the full body kit were ONLY produced in white. The non-body kit sedans were available in any color. I've personally seen silver, light blue, and white. A 1987 coupe with only the front skirt and wing instead of the full kit, and in another color besides white is in fact not an RX, but a FT4WD coupe. They had almost all the RX goodies but are not technically an RX.

1989 RX's were said to be produced only in black, though I've heard of some white ones as well. A black RX is somewhat rare. They were produced only as coupes, no sedans at all. An auto trans was available for the first time. Many black RX's do not have the full body kit.

In 1990 they produced a car called the Loyale RS, which looked like an RX coupe, with the front skirt and rear wing. They were made only in black and red. These cars have virtually nothing in common with the RX except the body, and are fitted with standard Loyale options. Most were nonturbo, and could be ordered with any options the customer wanted. No more special than any other Loyale.

The major differences between an RX and a turbo GL are the RX transmission (RX's were the only turbo cars to have a dual range transmission, throughout the whole production line- both part time and full time 4WD) , the interior, the suspension, and the body kit. Many other differences of course like we talked about, but those are the big ones.

how can you say it was just a two door coupe? i just died a little inside:(
\

i wish to stronlgy appologise i love the rx it is my favorite soob next to my xt-6

what i ment was it was only available in a coup but i was wrong and i am sorry

EDIT: I MEAN I NOW KNOW THAT IT WAS AVAILBLE IN A SEDAN aswell