Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subie-forts

singletrack

I'm gonna build a canopy to attach to my car for camping. Anybody else built something along these lines?

I'm thinking a 8x10 tarp attached to an 8' peice 2" of PVC that's set perpendicular to the car attached to my roofrack above the spare... the 10' side of the tarp will run to the hood and get bungied to the fr tow hooks/wheel wells. The rear of the tarp and the pvc pipe will be bungied to the rear wheel wells.

The rack will allow the Safari Top to still open, so I'll get shade AND ventilation. It's basically so my doggie will be comfortable if he hasta stay in the car.

I've seen tents that attach to the tailgate, but I want something that goes up and down quick, is cheap, and is anchored only to the car so i can set it up in parking lots if need be.

Anyways, ideas?

I wanted to do something like this with the brat, in case it rained while camping, but instead of covering the car, I'd have a tarp come off one side of the car maybe at a 45 degree angle or something. Haven't thought too much about it as winters a comin and I don't know that I'm gonna do a lot of camping, but I'll check back later with ideas.

I've been wanting a side awning for years now but haven't gotten around to rigging one up. I want it cheap, compact, and quick to put up.

I used to use the poles and rainfly from my backpacking tent. That made a nice awning over the rear hatch but I didn't want to wear it out (too expensive.)

So lately I've been prowling the yard sales looking for a cheap freestanding dome tent. I plan on cutting the bottom out and maybe modify to connect to the back and/or side of the car. I don't want to sleep in it, just need a shelter for brewing coffee and hanging out when the weather sucks.

OK, $25 at the hardware store later, I give you Fort SubieSafari v 1.0.

If you're unfamiliar with my roof, here it is. Obviously ventilation wasn't the problem. :)

fort1.jpg

It's attached only to the car; I could drive with the thing on if need be. Although it'd be hard to see where I was goin'.

fort2.jpg

I utilized the 4" of allthread left from my spare-tire mount to connect the cross beam - it's 1.5 inch PVC with a coupling in the middle so it'll break down for storage. Plus, I had enough PVC left over to make a bong.

fort3.jpg

The tailgate still opens, that was a must. And of course since it's a Subaru and has no pesky window frames, the doors still open too.

fort4.jpg

Mmmm, cozy inside. The tarp sits 1' above the ragtop, so I get airflow AND shade.

fort5.jpg

Anywho, there you have it. Still need a little tweaking, but it'll fly. I've got a 5 day roadtrip in Utah coming up this weekend, I'll post "action" pics later!

That looks pretty nice.

I've been trying to think of ways to make my soobie into a more camping-friendly rig. What I think would be cool is to have a tent-like structure that comes off the back of the car (with the liftgate open) and down to the ground with a waterproof roof and mosquito netting around the sides (they're nasty little buggers here.)

i think i'd choose one of those Lofty Shelters roof tents. I've planned for a while though to put screened slider windows in the wagon's rear quarter windows, as well as an exterior door handle and extra switch in the tailgate so I can secure and open it when sleeping in the car. that's a little cheaper and easier than buying a $2k tent, especially since I recently got a free cargo box for the top of the car :brow:

sweet! I'd like to do something like that (when I get my ragtop), unfortunately, bugs are a bigger problem than shade. I got this idea from my uncle, take mosquito netting, cut to the size and shape of the windows, and put refrigerator magnets on the sides. then you can roll down the windows some, and stick in the nets to keep the bugs out....

also, some sort of tent, maybe similar to that, but wider, that would allow you to get from the side doors, to the rear hatch, and stay dry...

A fancy hatch/liftgate release lever would indeed be cool. How about using a release lever from a Hatchback and mount it somewhere in the cargo area?

In my Hatchback I cut a hole in the plastic trim so I can reach in and pop the latch...but that's primitive and not something I'd want to do in the dark when I gotta pee. Guess if I'm going to sleep in the Hatch I should add a second lever to pull on the release cable.

So no one has added a Westfalia camper on top of a Soob wagon? With that safari top opening already there the Westy top could clamp on for camping trips. Mount it with heavy duty buckles and take it off again for commuting to work? Just a whacked idea but I bet someone somewhere has already tried it.

My friend Justin wanted to put a camper top on his wagon in the worst way. I don't think he ever did though. I wonder if the wagon's roof would be too short.

If all goes well, I will be towing my wagon to my garage next week or weekend. After that the pace of my project will pick up quite a bit. I hope to be driving the wagon this winter. After it's running I'll see how quickly I can do that to the tailgate. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

I also have another really slick interior modification to pull off, but that one's going to wait :brow: I am 1000% sure that nobody's done this one before.

Joel, how much did that sunroof cost you? I have wanted one for at least 3 years now.

I was flipping through one of my brother's jeep parts catalogs last night, and I saw a roof rack, that unhooked from the front supports, and flipped over backwards on hinges, to create a "roof" behind the jeep... might wanna look into making something like that