Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering fluid question - HELP - I put in non Decron!!

Subarus use dexron ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) for the power steering fluid. If you put something else in, you should read the lable and see if it's compatible with systems that use dexron.

Here's what I used. I only put a little in (to go from low to high on the dipstick).

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=22

I don't think this is dextron compatible. Does this small amount mean I need to change the reservior. If so, what's the easiest way to empty it.

Uhhh ya it appears you put in power steering fluid rather than ATF.

What I would do personally is just try to get as much of it out of there as possible and cycle ATF back into the system. Use a turkey baster or something to suck the PS fluid out.

It may be fine, I had a loyale that I found some PS fluid in... I can only assume that was what was running in the PS system.

I think it'll be okay also. With the exception of the XT-6, Subaru's use ATF in the PS sysytem, PS Fluid is compatable with ATF in this instance. There are some makes of cars that require PS Fluid "only" though. Subaru's are not one of those, thankfully..

i see no reason to not siphon it out and refill with the right stuff. don't drive the car at all if you don't have to so the fluid doesn't cycle through. i have an eye dropper type thing...but it's bigger than an eyedropper to suck out brake fluid and power steering fluid like you're talking about. i would think walmart or lowes/home depot would have something like this for like 2 bucks.

If you only used a little bit I wouldn't sweat it. The specs for it say it's a non-foaming ATF. The biggest difference between Dexron and Type F ATF fluids is that Dexron is a non-foaming fluid. The specs also give a GM part number that it's compatible with, you might check that number and see if its the same as Dexron.

Subarus use dexron ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) for the power steering fluid. If you put something else in, you should read the lable and see if it's compatible with systems that use dexron.

Huh? I've always used power steering fluid in mine, and it hasn't been a problem, except for one old one that you had to refill every week, so I just let it all out and ran it without power steering. Shouldn't the PS pump cap say something to this effect on it if you're supposed to use ATF?

Most power steering systems are very simple hydraulic systems. You can use ATF, power steering fluid, tractor universal fluid, or just straight hydraulic fluid in most of them to perfectly good effect. It's pretty easy to suck the old fluid out with a turkey baster like gary said, and new fluid won't cost much so you might do that just to keep everything the same and sleep well. OTOH, if you don't do anything with it you'll never know the difference. As was said, the XT-6 needs something different, but the rest are super-simple systems that will live just fine on almost anything.