Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Forester Cabin Air Filter

Hi:

I have a 2005 Forester 2.5 XS. I would like to find a source for Non-Dealer Parts. I am looking for a cabin Air Filter (NOT the Engine Air Filter). It sits behind the Glove Box. It fits the 2003/04/05 Model Cars. It costs $62.00+Tax at the Dealer, and none of the local Auto Parts stores even have a part number for it.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Rob

Hi:

I have a 2005 Forester 2.5 XS. I would like to find a source for Non-Dealer Parts. I am looking for a cabin Air Filter (NOT the Engine Air Filter). It sits behind the Glove Box. It fits the 2003/04/05 Model Cars. It costs $62.00+Tax at the Dealer, and none of the local Auto Parts stores even have a part number for it.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Rob

You could just not use one. We've had auto heat and A/C for decades without them. Or do as many folks do and build your own replacements from home A/C filters. You could likely make several for $10 or less.

• 8 months later...
Is this all there is to the 'cabinair filtration' option that was offered for extra money, when these were new vehicles? Just putting a filter in? Or was there some kind of filter holder that got installed as an option?

I haven't ripped into the WRX yet - but the wife's Outback very definitely would've been built with the capability - just paying for the dealer to install the filter.

I dunno when the 'feature' became available - someone here probably knows or check www.cars101.com .

Carl

In early Subaru's, the HVAC was not designed with a filter in mind. So adding the option meant cutting a side from the blower housing and installing a guide and cover assy ( example 98-02 Forester ). Later models were designed with the filter in the plan, but was still an option until 2005 if I remember correctly.

Over on Scoobymods there are a few long threads about guys who buy the 1st one, then use the frame with a replacement furnace filter and just replace the filter material for a few dollars each time vs $30 and up.

Remember the main reason for the filter is the same as used in commercial HVAC for years, not for the quality of the air we breath, but primarily to keep the coils and fins clean. This prevents mold, mildew and decaying leaves from accumulating by the evaporator. So turning on your A/C shouldn't give you a musty smell. Easier to change or clean this filter than take the housing apart and clean it.

On my 2003 OBW I replaced the filter by going to Lowes and purchasing a furnace air filter. I went for a fancy one but it was over kill. Remove the glove box. I think I removed the passenger center kick panel. Open up the black box. remove the filter housing. It was full of stuff. Vacum out the housing. I cut a new filter and put in the filter frame and buttoned it up. I think I put $7.00 into the filter material and 45 - 60 min.

I think to drop the glove box from the catchs was just a matter of squeezing the box sides. There was no way I was paying $60 for an air filter.

I...

Remember the main reason for the filter is the same as used in commercial HVAC for years, not for the quality of the air we breath, but primarily to keep the coils and fins clean. This prevents mold, mildew and decaying leaves from accumulating by the evaporator. So turning on your A/C shouldn't give you a musty smell. Easier to change or clean this filter than take the housing apart and clean it.

GOOD and important point. My wife's Honda came to her smelling musty, the only fix was taking the A/C apart to soak what could be soaked in bleach and replace the rest -- bleach is the only thing that kills mildew -- was expensive.

The mechanic recommended always turning the A/C off the last few driving miles before parking the car. That lets the water that has condensed on the cooling coils drip off and evaporate -- rather than staying beaded up inside when the car's parked, and feeding more mildew.

• 4 years later...

Wow not really bad the link is still working! Thanks guys! Sorry for digging this up i just wanna say thanks to your inputs you just saved my time :banana: are you all still active? thanks again!

why is my post needed to be moderated now? but now i can post without moderation? this is weird. is it a bug? i just quoted someone but now i just post directly but without any moderation. oh i see i remember i quoted and thanks somebody from someone who provided here a cheap source of subaru ACC cabin air filter so that is why it has been moderated it think.

Edited by masterjohnson

This may not relate to your Forrester but on my 05 OB, the capability was there BUT the engineers hadn't thought it through. The result was an inaccessible filter. The filter box AND tray were there but no access to open compartment/change filter. Early into production, they realized their oops and discontinued offering the option. Later they offered a questionable fix with something of a curtain but hunting around other sites I found a much better solution.

You can swap parts from the 08 into the 05 and it will make it functional.

I actually pitched a b@#tch with SOA concerning their under-engineering and they gave me a $100 credit that I applied towards the installation. I got discounted parts from http://www.SubaruPartsForYou (which is my local dealer anyway). I couldn't ask for a better outcome from SOA customer relations department.