Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In or out ??? Bought new brake pads for wifes 96 Outback. When taking off pads I noticed the pad with the arm that lets you know when your pads are getting low and makes a chirpping noise was faceing to the out side of wheel. The other side pad the arm was on the inside. I called Advance and asked what side it should face and the guy did not sound too sure and said the inside. I called AutoZone and they said it did not matter. Most brakes I seen face that arm outside. What is the answer , arm in or arm out ?????

In or out ??? Bought new brake pads for wifes 96 Outback. When taking off pads I noticed the pad with the arm that lets you know when your pads are getting low and makes a chirpping noise was faceing to the out side of wheel. The other side pad the arm was on the inside. I called Advance and asked what side it should face and the guy did not sound too sure and said the inside. I called AutoZone and they said it did not matter. Most brakes I seen face that arm outside. What is the answer , arm in or arm out ?????

This is a good question. USUALLY, due to slight drag on the caliper rods I guess, the inside (with the piston) wears a little faster - so I would put it there. BUT, on the last car I did(dodge avenger), the squeeler pad was not interchangeable with the other side and it HAD to go on the outside. Seemed like a bad engineering choice to me.

I dunno

The pad with the telltale goes on the outside.

nipper

I just did the brakes on mine and on my 93 the pads will go either way. the tabs on the front were on the outside and the rears were on the inside. I have done the brakes once before, so I cant say for sure that this was the way they were from the factory. Anyway it did not matter cuz the pads wore uneven and I had to free all 4 caliper slides.