Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have this strange noise coming from what appears to be the transmission area. It's like soft, muffled, "tea Kettle" whistle. Very soft. Starts at 20 mph and stops at 20 mph. It never gets louder or quieter with speed changes. If you shift to neutral, it's still present, so it's not engine rpm related either. It's only constant is it stops as you slow to 20 mph! It starts at 20 mph.

No other problems with the transmission. I'm stumped.

Could it be speedo cable? driveshaft?

(95 Impreza 2.2 AWD)

Todd

I have this strange noise coming from what appears to be the transmission area. It's like soft, muffled, "tea Kettle" whistle. Very soft. Starts at 20 mph and stops at 20 mph. It never gets louder or quieter with speed changes. If you shift to neutral, it's still present, so it's not engine rpm related either. It's only constant is it stops as you slow to 20 mph! It starts at 20 mph.

No other problems with the transmission. I'm stumped.

Could it be speedo cable? driveshaft?

(95 Impreza 2.2 AWD)

Todd

Differential? A bearing? Could be alot of things. Does it do it in every gear?

Yes, it does it in every gear. It's an automatic.

It does not sound like bearing noise, as it does not change tone at all with speed changes. It does not change under acceleration or deaceleration either. It's like something just "turns-on" at 20 mph!

Are you absolutely sure that it doesn't change pitch with engine or vehicle speed? There's practically nothing in the drivetrain that spins at the same speed all the time. All I can think of that does the same stuff all the time is the fuel pump.

Hmm. Maybe you have a noisy fuel pump? You could try getting some heavy load on the engine. Go drive around a bit and warm it up normally, then stop, put it in drive, put on the P-Brake, stomp the footbrake down hard, then rev engine some. This'll basically load the engine as hard as it'll ever be loaded. Don't do it for more than a few seconds or more than a couple times, as you can overheat your transmission fluid. Drive around a bit to cool it down.

That's brake-torquing, in case you didn't know. It's good for dragstarts in an auto, FYI.

Regardless, in that case, you'll be loading the engine up without the drivetrain spinning at all. The only places left to whistle are engine related and the torque converter. You may be able to get a rough idea where it's coming from.