Ultimate Subaru Message Board

those imported low mile motors??

Have one in my RX and it runs like a top! Put it in a year ago, haven't had any real problems at all. I did re-seal it before I put it in, along with new water pump, oil pump, etc, etc. Hasn't even leaked a drop of oil out of anything but the oil cooler setup (which is fixed now). Biggest problem I ran into was finding a company that would gaurantee me at least Gen 2...had to tell the most of them how to tell. I didn't want an earlier engine. Once I found one, I snatched it. Since I stripped it down and re-sealed it I got a good look at most everything (didn't take the heads off). All looked brand new still, no buildup up on anything, the inside of the valve covers/oil pan was totally clean...first time I had seen that on an EA82 engine. I have heard bad stories but mine is great. When this one goes it will be a CCR though, already started saving just in case (I drive it hard).

are those fairly cheap imported from japan low milage motors

are they any good? or even a good deal

anyone have much experience with them

just looking for options incase i need to go the rebuild/replace route

edit" ea82t

I had an JDM EA82T in my 87. I paid $750 shipped. It had about 30, 000 mi on it. Ran awesome...until my ecm poo'ed.

Be warned though. They are not direct drop in engines. The engines are set up for right hand drive, so you'll have to carry over all of the vacume ports and such. In my case I have to change the injector connectors as well as they were different.

Well worth the money. I believe they also make about 20hp more than the USDM versions. At least thats what the dyno said.

I got one from http://www.foreignenginesinc.com/door/ in Lynwood. Theynext day delivered to my door for free(40 min drive) Came with all the accessories, which worked fine. I did replace some hoses/sensors, and the wiring harness does come from the opposite side, but It was a simple install even for my first time. Haven't had any problems with the engine

well see since my fuel injection/ignition and such is not even remotly subaru

i am not to concerned about if its right hand drive or things like that

infact if it comes to it i only need the engine only no intake exhaust turbo injectors ect ect

i just wanted to know what the general consensus people had in regards to what they spent versus what they got

so far i think my curiosity has been answered

well see since my fuel injection/ignition and such is not even remotly subaru

i am not to concerned about if its right hand drive or things like that

infact if it comes to it i only need the engine only no intake exhaust turbo injectors ect ect

i just wanted to know what the general consensus people had in regards to what they spent versus what they got

so far i think my curiosity has been answered

I just wanted to let you know that, if you buy from them, who's local, that they throw that stuff in as a bonus, --extra turbo, powersteering, brand new oil pump, etc,.

i have had 4 jdm engines now. if you can go up to lynwood and take a look at the engines at FOREIGN ENGINES,INC, thats where i got mine. if you go there you can pick the one that you want. the last one i had delivered, looked like it had been sitting in a bucket of salt. so i had to send it back and get a new one. if i would have went and gotten it myself i could have had it running a day sooner.

but i say GO JDM!

i bought an 85 GL with one of those jdm engines in it with all the paper work after the previous owner cracked the old block.:headbang: It says that the engine had about 30,000 mi on it when she got it and sold it to me 30,000 mi later. It runs real nice like....has a new head temp sensor, oil pump, water pump, and all that other good stuff you replace on a car that overheated and just about blew up.:clap: So i would say im happy with it...i got it with 99k and have put 16k on it...since january.

neal

My roommate Danbob99 put a header off of a JDM ea82T on his wagon. It definatelly improved performance. It was sturdier built too!

yeah i think the motor from the rx thats in my garage was a jdm unit

its got a bigger up pipe with a fitting below the turbo for either a secondary o2 or maybe a egt thing hmmm so that will certainly be swapped over to what ever i beg/steal/buy<haha>/build

hmmm dunno how i could get to lynwood err well not so much get there as more to how to haul the darn thing home if i go that route i certainly could not put it in the "trunk" section of the wife's convertible lebaron gtc

hah i supose i could design and weld up some kinda funky cargo rack to attach up under the rear bumper and comes up over the trunk lid and attaches inside the car with the top down ...

what dyno?

A Mustang Dyno in NC I went to. Stock EA82T had 109 Hp and 126 Tq lbs.

JDM version had 137 HP, and 146 Tq lbs at 6800 rpms. This was all stock too. Sadly this was about 3 years ago though.

Of course it may be largely due in part the JDM engine had 30,000 mi, and the Stock, US engine had 130,000.

Still I dont think it would loose 30 HP as at the time of the dyno run, both were running great.

My 87 GL had an engine from "Foreign Engines" in the Nickel Ads.

Got it back at 215K... as you all know the car made it to 321K before dying. Blew a head gasket on the way, but only because I delivered pizza with it and that is super hard on cars. On-Off-On-Off......

So in other words it was a GREAT engine!

I was looking at getting a JDM engine as well when I first got my RX. Well now that I have a pretty nice motor in there, I'm gonna stick with it until I get my rebuilt one from CCR. Oh and since I also got $$ from my parent's for my birthday and money from my aunt, I'm gonna be calling up TWE and getting me one of those sexy looking headers:D