Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bought a 1992 soob legacy sw. awd auto. with ej22 engine. question! Car will not start, flash code of knock sensor, replaced knock sensor, no help. flash code of cam sensor, replaced, no help. Checked timing bekt, checked fine, still no start. Cranks strong and tries to fire. COULD IT MAYBE THE ENGINE COMPUTER? Where do I go from here? All codes were with the flashing light in the dash.

Please help.

Dennis

If spark is getting to the plugs then the engine sensors should be ok. I would suspect a fuel problem then. Try spraying some starter fluid into the intake to see if that helps the engine try to fire up. If it does, then you have a fuel problem most likely.

on my no start problem...

Check spark at coil pack with extra plug grounded at top of block, spark ok, but blue-red flame. Took inlet fuel line loose turned key and fuel sprayed out. Unhooked wire to coil pack tested igniter like book says don't have any 12 vote signal comming out if igniter, book says could be igniter or ECM. Also, the book I have says on 92 Legacy AWD that the ECM is on passinger side at your feet under carpet NOT SO, saw something under left side of dash that looks like it but I'm not sure, where to next guys???

Thanks Dennis

on my no start problem...

Check spark at coil pack with extra plug grounded at top of block, spark ok, but blue-red flame. Took inlet fuel line loose turned key and fuel sprayed out. Unhooked wire to coil pack tested igniter like book says don't have any 12 vote signal comming out if igniter, book says could be igniter or ECM. Also, the book I have says on 92 Legacy AWD that the ECM is on passinger side at your feet under carpet NOT SO, saw something under left side of dash that looks like it but I'm not sure, where to next guys???

Thanks Dennis

Yeah, I saw a manual that told me the ECM (aka ECU) was under the passenger carpet also! In real life it is under the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. Has yellow harness conecters. The tranny computer, the TCU, is under there also, look similar but does not have the yellow conecters.

Since you stated that there was spark getting to the plugs then the ignition is ok. Have you tried spraying some starter fluid into the intake to see if that helps. The injector may not be working or is this multipoint injection? You should also check the compression if the starter fluid doesn't work. There may be a broken timing belt.

it is multi port f.i. and i did try to spray start fluid in intake. could the cylinders be washed dry! i got this car from someone else as a no start recently. checked oil and found out that it was two inches overfull. so you dont think it is electrical! Dennis

If the plugs are firing as he stated in post #7 then this would mean the engine sensors are ok. The ECM will not allow them to fire unless it sees the proper signals from them. If the starter fluid doesn't produce any firing then the compression needs to be checked.

The injectors may not be opening due to a problem in the ECM possibly. One poster here found out there was a bad ground to the injector circuit in the ECM. He was able to correct the problem and that fixed it. Using the starter fluid should show if the injectors are working or not. If there is a fuel problem then the starter fluid should make the engine fire up briefly.

If the plugs are firing as he stated in post #7 then this would mean the engine sensors are ok. The ECM will not allow them to fire unless it sees the proper signals from them. If the starter fluid doesn't produce any firing then the compression needs to be checked.

The injectors may not be opening due to a problem in the ECM possibly. One poster here found out there was a bad ground to the injector circuit in the ECM. He was able to correct the problem and that fixed it. Using the starter fluid should show if the injectors are working or not. If there is a fuel problem then the starter fluid should make the engine fire up briefly.

you may be on to something with comp. i stated earlier that when i got the car from someone else very recently it had about two inches of extra oil in it that turned out to be raw gas. good thing it didnt start HA! maybe cylinders got washed with gas and need a little shot of oil in cyl. to bring comp. back. couldnt work on it today went to church tonight but will check comp. also timing belts .should be next step right! thanks for help Dennis

What voltage to you have at the battery? on my engine swap she won't start unless i have over 12 volts, although she cranks great with only 11
thats a very good possibility cause when i got car starter was fried and battery was dead , used booster battery to crank. have had battery on charge since yesterday will try again tomorrow thanks for your help Dennis

If there was really that much gas mixed with the oil that would be incredible!

Squirting some oil into each cylinder would be good if that is the case. Perhaps the injector is leaking.

put oil in cylinders and brought comp. from 60 to about 150 but that isnt the whole story. checked belt timing and discovered that it was a little off. pulled front cover and geared idler pulley just to right of crank and down at bottom has a busted bearing with balls laying all in timing cover . guess it could be trouble! does anyone have one! Dennis

put oil in cylinders and brought comp. from 60 to about 150 but that isnt the whole story. checked belt timing and discovered that it was a little off. pulled front cover and geared idler pulley just to right of crank and down at bottom has a busted bearing with balls laying all in timing cover . guess it could be trouble! does anyone have one! Dennis

I have all the pulleys, idler and gearer. Also have a good used timeing belt, don't know the mileage on it but all the lettering and markings are fresh. Any pulley or the belt, $10 plus shipping.

The plot thickens.
this evening 11-3 put idler off my now spare 2.2 that i purchased on engine in car the thing fired up fine for 1 min. then died . if you put ether in it it will run so i pulled the fuel line and got soaked so i guess it is putting out fuel and spark. Now that i have the timing fixed i find that i dont have fuel signal to injectors! would i be right assuming that the ecm is bad also or am i jumping the gun. the numbers on ecm if that be the case are 22611aa930f ja18000rh1 1829 any suggestions would be appreciated BUT NO DYNAMITE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. HA! Dennis

this evening 11-3 put idler off my now spare 2.2 that i purchased on engine in car the thing fired up fine for 1 min. then died . if you put ether in it it will run so i pulled the fuel line and got soaked so i guess it is putting out fuel and spark. Now that i have the timing fixed i find that i dont have fuel signal to injectors! would i be right assuming that the ecm is bad also or am i jumping the gun. the numbers on ecm if that be the case are 22611aa930f ja18000rh1 1829 any suggestions would be appreciated BUT NO DYNAMITE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. HA! Dennis edit.gif