Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does piss harm the seat heaters?

great first post huh? I have a '96 outback, with the front seat heaters. I drank too much and peed the front seat. haha just kidding. my dog gets separation anxiety sometimes when I leave her in the car and decides to lose control while sitting on the driver's seat. I just got the car, and was planning to get the cage/ guard thing to keep her in the back, but hadn't found a good deal on a used one yet (anybody have one?). she decided to completely soak the seat a couple days ago, and now i'm wondering if the seat heater might get damaged. I would hope that subaru had possible drink spills and stuff in mind when design ing the heaters, so maybe they're protected, but does anyone know for sure?

i've read a lot on here (first time subaru owner) and it looks like I've got some of the common issues with my car: various switch/dash lights not working, clunky right rear suspension, and burning oil smell from behind the engine. the car never gets overheated, and the oil level doesn;t change, and the oil looks good, so I'm not too worried about the burning smell. i'll try the radio shack dash light replacement one of these days, although the switch locations are mostly memorized now. And the strut... well, I might just live with it for a little bit. any harm in that?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Guest Vickaroo
I'll bet it smells good when you turn the heater on.

Thats what I was thinking also..... Better get it cleaned before you turn on the heater..... ewwwwwwwww Vicky

The clunking happens over almost any bump that the right side of the car hits. It seems to dampen bumps fine. I looked at the bushings and stuff on that side, nothing looks even close to being worn enough to allow things to bump together. Is it possible the spring could be loose or something?

Believe me, I wish the dog story was just a cover. At least then I could train myself not to do it (maybe). But her... the only thing I can do is not give her the option. Problem is, she'll wait a few months between accidents, so just when I've forgotten about it, I get in the car and damn!, she did it again!

i've read a lot on here (first time subaru owner) and it looks like I've got some of the common issues with my car: various switch/dash lights not working, clunky right rear suspension, and burning oil smell from behind the engine. the car never gets overheated, and the oil level doesn;t change, and the oil looks good, so I'm not too worried about the burning smell. i'll try the radio shack dash light replacement one of these days, although the switch locations are mostly memorized now. And the strut... well, I might just live with it for a little bit. any harm in that?

QUOTE]

Switch lights are easy, Do a search here, you can get the tiny bulbs from radioshack cheap. The clkimate control lights are all replaceable, again do a search.

Subarus when they leak anything, it is always on the exhaust pipes. If its from behind the engine, make sure your power sterring hoses are tight. Aparently its common for them to losen up and leak. As winte r comes you will worry about the smell, but it may smell better then the piss :)

Clunky rear may be a bad strut or bushing.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for a dog barrier also. 1st Subaru Parts has what I think is an OEM one for about $125.

On the other hand, I think I'd try this one from eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dlx-PET-DOG-BARRIER-SUBARU-OUTBACK-FORESTER-LEGACY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6779QQitemZ8013341314QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

For $24.95 plus $12.00 shipping, I think it's worth a try.

Also, I guess you could try to find one of those rubber mats that covers the whole cargo area. That should make for a fast clean-up. Later, you can pull out the mat and hose it off! :)