Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This morning when I was warming up my 95 Legacy, with the car in park, I pressed on the brake and heard a little click with the first 10% of travel. When I started to drive a little bit, it sounded like something was lightly scraping and I've never heard this sound before. Needless to say, I used the other car. Does this sound like a brake issue? No dummy lights came on but I figured better safe than sorry. Any ideas?

Thanx,

Pete

Yes, the car is an automatic. Funny thing is, I never really noticed this before. The clicking went away when the car was in gear, so that may be normal, but the rubbing sound was something I never noticed before. I have around 30k on the brakes, but I normally get close to 60k on my pads. I guess I'll take it into get looked at, but any further analysis would be helpful.

Yes, the car is an automatic. Funny thing is, I never really noticed this before. The clicking went away when the car was in gear, so that may be normal, but the rubbing sound was something I never noticed before. I have around 30k on the brakes, but I normally get close to 60k on my pads. I guess I'll take it into get looked at, but any further analysis would be helpful.

Check tranny fluid level and condition, and have a look at the pads as well. Also look for debris in the calipers. Without more info, that is the best I can do for you.

Well, I took the car into Midas today and found that the pads on the front were practically non-existent, which caused the grinding sound. Also, the front two tires were practically bald on the inside edge. Funny thing though, the rears were practically new. I had them replace the pads, resurface the rotors and replace the front two. I asked about replacing all 4, but was told that the old tire had just about the same amount of tread as the new ones. I may have them changed at a later date - it came out to almost $600.

If I were to get a new battery for the car, what size would I get and how much would it cost? They quoted me $129 plus installation. If I buy a new battery, does it need to be charged, or is it plug and play?

Thanx,

Pete

If I were to get a new battery for the car, what size would I get and how much would it cost? They quoted me $129 plus installation. If I buy a new battery, does it need to be charged, or is it plug and play?

Thanx,

Pete

Yikes. I can get a new battery for my diesel truck for cheaper than that.... Costco is where I get mine, and they seem to be good quality. 100 month prorated warrantee, and I think it's probably about $45 for the one you need. They come charged. You might have to reset the security system on the car after changing the battery -- I've never done it on a newer car. The owners manual should say the required cold cranking amps CCA) or amphours (reserve capacity?) for the battery you need. Or just look up the one for a '95 legacy in the fitment book at the battery store. I always try to get the next bigger size than they recommend (as long as it will fit in the compartment)

Z

Thanx,

Pete

129.00 for a battery and installation extra ... DAMN i have to go there and opne a battery store. I never paid more then 70.00 for a battery. Installation ... please... its justa hold down and the two clamps. They must do better drugs there then i have now for my back :)

nipper

I still have to get my rears done - need new shoes and cylinders. If I had the guts to work on brakes, I'd do it myself. At least I can get a battery at Advanced Auto for $45, plus 10 minutes of my time to install.

They also said that I had a bulb burned out - 13 dollars to replace. Needless to say, I told them I could do that.

My 16 year old daughter does brake jobs not that difficult. She's 17 now but started when she was 16.

I used to think that brakes were hard, but I can do front brake pads on a subaru GL (not machining the rotors obviously) in about 20 or 30 minutes now (depending on what bolts are rusted...). Drums are a little harder than discs, IMO, but still easy once you've done them once or twice.

If you can, see if the mechanic will let you watch while he does the brakes. Usually they won't, but one of my friends conned a mechanic into teaching her while he did all four wheels on her old VW bus.