Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, its been awhile. Still faithfully driving my 96 outback, but have encountered a setback...

I lightly rear ended someone, not even a scratch on my front bumper, nor the rear bumper on the car in front. Thing is, both airbags deployed. I was able to drive away and the car drives perfectly. I've checked out the front end, nothing seems wrong.

Subaru dealer now tells me its going to cost $4000 to replace the bags. So do I go through insurance (possible write off) or is there something else I can do? Don't want to drive without airbags. Could these have deployed prematurely?

Any advice?

CF

There is something you might want to investigate. They had a recall for all 95 and 96 Legacy models refering to the airbags.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/1996/subaru/legacy/outback/index.html

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback NHTSA Recall ID Number: 98V315000

Recall Date: DEC 11, 1998

Component: AIR BAGS

Potential Units Affected: 95673

Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. INADVERTENT AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT CAN OCCUR AFTER UNDERCARRIAGE CONTACT OF THE TOW HOOKS WITH CURBS, DIPS, SPEEDBUMPS, POTHOLES, ETC.

Consequence: UNEXPECTED AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT COULD RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE FRONT TOW HOOKS.

Notes: SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC.,

If your car didn't have this done you might be able to get the dealership to replace them for free. Don't know, but it's worth a try.

Keith

Airbags are extreemly complicated peices of software, what may have been a minor hit to you, may have just had the right signiture for the software. But yes double chaeck the recall.

i would look on ebay or a scrapyard for replacements. The sterring wheel one should be straight forward, not too sure about the passenger side.

nipper

Cowboy, i'm sure this is of no help, but when i worked for an airbag company, we would sell airbags to GM we would sell them for less than 50 bucks, and they would turn around and sell them to the consumer for 700 bucks. that just seems grotesque to me.

Try aarons auto wrecking in seattle they might have some. Shipping is no issue if they are shipped ground and are declared. Air freight is out.

So, I can't believe that you didn't say anything about the windshield. On all Subarus that I have seen with air bags that had deployed, the passenger side air bag usually takes out the windshield too. It takes a special torx with a hole in the center to remove the bolts that hold the air bags in place.

Keith, did you read the fix for the air bag problem? They just remove the front tow hooks, both my 95 Legacy wagons still have the tow hooks there.

Thanks for your comments everyone, I did forget to mention the passenger side airbag did put a few cracks in the windshield, but its still intact. I'll try the recall angle with the dealer and see what happens.

Even if I find cheap(er) replacements, not too sure about intalling them myself. While I routinley work on the engine, brakes and such, not sure I'd have the same confidence with airbags. Think a layman like me could do it? Looks like some special tools are required according to last post.

Hello all, its been awhile. Still faithfully driving my 96 outback, but have encountered a setback...

CF

I had the same thing happen to me about year ago in my 96, hit a car from behind going 2mph. (verified by police) So let me tell you my saga.

I tired to fight Subaru, insurance, etc. Subaru basically gave me the finger on the deal.

I wrote leters, made multiple calls, etc.

Subaru sent out a special investigator they took apart my front end, my insurance company was there and took 50 digital pictures because there was no damage at all.

My insurance paid me and they are going after Subaru.

Since I own my car, my insurance company game me a check for $4500 for damage (replace airbags and windshield).

I took the money bought a set of bags off ebay $50, installed them myself and some day I might hook the sensors back up for now I have them disconnect. I am a bit leery about hooking them back up and failing again on me at low speed or dip in the road. For me this car is safer than my 92 with the bad seatbelts issues from 90-94.

Keith, did you read the fix for the air bag problem? They just remove the front tow hooks, both my 95 Legacy wagons still have the tow hooks there.

Yup, I discovered the recall after discovering the tow hooks on the front of my 95 had been cut off. Real Bummer if I ever slide backwards off the road in the the snow or something. My 96 still has them though. I just thought it might be worth a shot.

Keith

Even if I find cheap(er) replacements, not too sure about intalling them myself. While I routinley work on the engine, brakes and such, not sure I'd have the same confidence with airbags. Think a layman like me could do it? Looks like some special tools are required according to last post.

If you are mechanically inclined it is a very simple replacement, took me about 2 hours to do but now that I know what I am doing I could do it in 1 hour or less. Only tools needed are socket set and screw drivers.

Send me a pm if you are doing this yourself and I can talk you thought the swap, very easy and can save yourself a ton of cash.

If you were closer I would offer to come give you a hand.

I must have missed it, but what are the bad seatbelt issues ('90-'94)? Thanks. -SQ

I had the same thing happen to me about year ago in my 96, hit a car from behind going 2mph. (verified by police) So let me tell you my saga.

I tired to fight Subaru, insurance, etc. Subaru basically gave me the finger on the deal.

I wrote leters, made multiple calls, etc.

Subaru sent out a special investigator they took apart my front end, my insurance company was there and took 50 digital pictures because there was no damage at all.

My insurance paid me and they are going after Subaru.

Since I own my car, my insurance company game me a check for $4500 for damage (replace airbags and windshield).

I took the money bought a set of bags off ebay $50, installed them myself and some day I might hook the sensors back up for now I have them disconnect. I am a bit leery about hooking them back up and failing again on me at low speed or dip in the road. For me this car is safer than my 92 with the bad seatbelts issues from 90-94.

I must have missed it, but what are the bad seatbelt issues ('90-'94)? Thanks. -SQ

From 90-94 Subaru seat belts use "rip stitching" or "energy management loop" in which several inches of the lap belt webbing are folded over and stitched to the belt. In an accident, this stitching rips, allowing the webbing to expand up to an additional six inches.

There have been multiple lawsuits against Subaru because this slack allows for ejection issues in rollovers or additional injury on secondary impacts.

From 90-94 Subaru seat belts use "rip stitching" or "energy management loop" in which several inches of the lap belt webbing are folded over and stitched to the belt. In an accident, this stitching rips, allowing the webbing to expand up to an additional six inches.

There have been multiple lawsuits against Subaru because this slack allows for ejection issues in rollovers or additional injury on secondary impacts.

Is there a replacement belt that does not use this stitching, or can the stitching be disabled (removed) without an automatic failure at safety inspection time? Do you have a link to more info on this issue? I have that stitching on my 92, and have never liked it. It puts the buckle right in the door frame when it retracts, so the doors do not close right. If I remove the stitching, it may retract far enough to have the doors close properly, and hold me in place better if the worst happens. . .