Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emily (my wagon) needs shoes. I need advice.

Looking at tirerack, I find the following:

Bridgestone Turanza LS-T at $65 ea or Goodyear Regatta2 at $60 ea. There were actually 6 tires listed, but I eliminated all but these two. What are yor recomendations? Any experiences with either of these? My conditions are "spirited" driving (heh, I like the way they say that), mostly on road with some off road, all weather. I need a tire that can hit all 4 positions (both of these fit that), gives good traction under varied and sometimes severe weather, and lasts a long time. What I need most of all is reliability. I cannot afford to have to replace these tires because one of them failed. . .

so the companies are Bridgestone and Goodyear. what is known about the rubber these folks put out?

I personally think goodyear tires are way over priced and the goodyears on my impreza are deafining at highway speeds. My garage man don't like them either. Seriously they are so loud that it sounds like i have wheel bearings going bad.

Some of the best tires I have ever owned (especially on a 1st gen legacy) were generic no name tires.

BTW, I saw the pics of emily in the wagon thread....she looks beautiful to me no matter what!

I personally think goodyear tires are way over priced and the goodyears on my impreza are deafining at highway speeds. My garage man don't like them either. Seriously they are so loud that it sounds like i have wheel bearings going bad.

Some of the best tires I have ever owned (especially on a 1st gen legacy) were generic no name tires.

BTW, I saw the pics of emily in the wagon thread....she looks beautiful to me no matter what!

Yeah, Emily is a beauty, particularly on the inside. That is where it counts anyway. Take a look at my photo galery and see the seats and other stuff I have added.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Well, those of you who know my driving style, and the condition of my tires no longer need to worry. I went in to America's Tire Center out here and bought 5 of the lowest end tires they had. This gives me tread to last through the winter wet (40K miles worth) and I now even have a spare. Will be rotating at each oil change (3K miles) on a 5 wheel pattern. This will extend the tread life a bit, and insure that I always have a good matching spare in case of trouble. Yes, I know that putting cheap tires on only increases the chances of trouble, and that is why I made sure that I got 5 of them. $250 out the door (I'm gonna be eating Ramen for most of the month now) and I pushed them a bit on the way home. They actually feel pretty good, and hold fairly well (at least on the dry pavement that I had available to use) Now all I need is either a repair for the wheel that holds the spare (small flat spot), or a replacement (Richierich, you said you had some, do you still have any?) as well as a centercap that went "walkies" on me a few days ago. I feel much better about the coming weather now that I have rubber on the ground that has enough tread to deal with it. . .

The next set will be good long-running ones with great tread, unless I get really good service out of these (if they break 60K miles, being as they are rated for 40K, and if they continue to feel as surefooted as they do now, I will consider that to be excelent service, and I would use them again). The tread is quiet as far as I can tell (I have a wind noise issue that I have to resolve to be sure though). I hear other things, not the tires.

Looking at tirerack, I find the following:

Bridgestone Turanza LS-T at $65 ea or Goodyear Regatta2 at $60 ea. There were actually 6 tires listed, but I eliminated all but these two. What are yor recomendations? Any experiences with either of these? My conditions are "spirited" driving (heh, I like the way they say that), mostly on road with some off road, all weather. I need a tire that can hit all 4 positions (both of these fit that), gives good traction under varied and sometimes severe weather, and lasts a long time. What I need most of all is reliability. I cannot afford to have to replace these tires because one of them failed. . .

so the companies are Bridgestone and Goodyear. what is known about the rubber these folks put out?

I got these for my car and love them. They are wearing great and since it is no name brand I was able to talk them down in price.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=80104&rc=CODINT&mk=SUBARU&yr=1996&cs=205&dVeh=dVeh&pc=15673&rd=15&vid=006485&ar=70

I got these for my car and love them. They are wearing great and since it is no name brand I was able to talk them down in price.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=80104&rc=CODINT&mk=SUBARU&yr=1996&cs=205&dVeh=dVeh&pc=15673&rd=15&vid=006485&ar=70

Heh, that is where I got my tires, actually. They did not have the cheapest tires for my car in stock, so they gave me these

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=80104&rc=CODINT&mk=SUBARU&yr=1992&cs=185&dVeh=dVeh&pc=33332&rd=14&vid=006477&ar=70

at the cheaper price. Hmmm, I saved $6 a tire. . . :brow:

Even if they only last 50,000 miles i'd be happy. They are $90/each at Sears...so they are not horribly priced.

WOW if I paid that for an all season tire I would flip out! :brow:

I got a set of dedicated studded snow tires and all season for my outback for $500 total.