Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Battery choice

I just got my Optima Yellow top tested, and Auto Zone said it was still in great shape (I've had it for like three years). I wanted a second opinion after the slobs at Schucks told me that it was going out, and I needed a new one. I'm not having problems with it, but I thought it would be interesting to check out, and the shops are only about 100 yards apart.

What do you guys think? Who should I trust? Go for a third opinion? I'm kinda freaked out about being stranded, as it has happened like three times in as many months, and I don't really want it to happen anymore.

Those coiled jelly-cells may not test as a regular battery. Go get it tested a a place that is authorized to deal Optimas.

I just got my Optima Yellow top tested, and Auto Zone said it was still in great shape (I've had it for like three years). I wanted a second opinion after the slobs at Schucks told me that it was going out, and I needed a new one. I'm not having problems with it, but I thought it would be interesting to check out, and the shops are only about 100 yards apart.

What do you guys think? Who should I trust? Go for a third opinion? I'm kinda freaked out about being stranded, as it has happened like three times in as many months, and I don't really want it to happen anymore.

I doubt that the battery is bad and if it was, I would be very disappointed considering what they cost. They are very good batteries but I think due to their high cost there are better values using regular batteries, for normal use at least. I can buy two batteries that can last a total of around 12 years for the cost of one of them. If I owned an airplane I would use one in it. Those that like to take their cars into the rough hills may have some benefit also. Just my viewpoint.

If you don't have a voltmeter in the dash then I would think about installing one, or get one that can inserted into the cigarette lighter. By watching the voltage of the system you will know when things aren't right. One good indicator of how good your battery is how well the starter works on a cold morning. If there isn't any sign of the starter turning slower than normal then the battery is most likely in good shape. I would hope that you wouldn't have to worry about changing batteries for at least another 3 years.

I would trust the shop that lost out on an opportunity to sell you a battery. And for the record i swear by interstate batteries. They have always goen past thier rated life.

nipper

The last I heard, there are only three battery manufactures in the US. They place whatever name the retailer wants on it so the bottom line is all factors equal, all batteries will be about equal.

That said, deep cycle batteries are a lead grid similar to batteries made 40+ years ago. They withstand deep cycling a lot better than standard automotive batteries made today but don't last as long before they die and have a high self discharge rate. If you let one sit for 6 months with out a charge, you'll probably find it completely discharged.

Modern automotive batteries are a lead/calcium grid. They have a very low self discharge rate and last quite a long time BUT don't like to be deep discharged. Deep discharge them several times and they will be permanently damaged.

All batteries HATE heat. Heat is a big enemy of batteries. The cooler you can keep them, the longer they will last. They like 30 to 60 degrees.

Batteries with longer warranties are not better quality batteries. They usually have more plates with more cold cranking amps but that's the only difference. You are just paying extra for insurance or more commonly called warranty.