Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It wont go

if the car is 2wd a broken axle will cause the same problem, as well as a stripped hub

if the car is 4wd and you take off in 4wd and it goes, this would very much be the problem

It doesnt go in 4wd or 4wd low and the thing you adjust for the clutch cable is a cable right? not the big long bolt next to it with 2 nuts? Also what is the hill holder and how would i check if this is the problem? Would the clutch be part of the problem? Also does the rear have hubs and do the hubs ussaly strip?

thanks jacob

Okay, well that eliminates the hill holder as a source of the problem. Since it doesn't work in 4wd either, that all but eliminates a stripped hub (you'd have to have one stripped in the front and one in the rear, the likelihood of which is incredibly small).

So, four possibilities are left:

1. The clutch is adjusted way too tight. You might try loosening the adjustment all the way and seeing if it still has the problem.

2. The clutch is so worn out that it just slips and the car doesn't go. I'm leaning toward this option right now.

3. The 4wd shift lever is stuck between 4 hi and 4 lo, so no power goes through the transmission. It may not be the lever itself, but something in the linkage that's faulty. Get under the car and/or reach down through the engine bay and move the linkage manually by hand or with a prybar or something and see if the problem persists.

4. Though it is highly unlikely, the transmission could have internal damage. I doubt this is the case, as it would probably make all sorts of terrible noises, but it is a possibility.

is the clutch adjustment a cable that connects to a bolt type thing with two nuts on it? or is it the rod right next to it with two nuts? also i couldnt get the cable to sit on the fork coming out of the tranny correctly it sits on the round spacer that is before the bolt on the cable. Any pics of how it should look would be helpful thanks.

Your clutch fork should have two cables going to it, both with an adjustment. The one closer to the tranny is the hill holder cable, which you needn't worry about. The one farther away from the tranny with two nuts (one is 12mm, the other is 10mm) is the clutch cable, and its tension is adjusted by loosening the 10mm jam nut and turning the 12mm adjustment nut.

Sorry I don't have any pics of it.

ok so thats the one i adjusted. when i took of the tire it wasnt even on the fork and the clutch felt more like a brake, i then put it back on the fork, but not so there was nut on both sides. Both nuts where on the forks side facing the fire wall. The clutch felt like it should in this position but it still would not go. I know 5 months ago before i bought it, the clutch felt the same before the adjustment. I bought it with it not running in hopes of just putting a new clutch in, i just want to know for sure its the clutch before i replace it.

ok so thats the one i adjusted. when i took of the tire it wasnt even on the fork and the clutch felt more like a brake, i then put it back on the fork, but not so there was nut on both sides. Both nuts where on the forks side facing the fire wall. The clutch felt like it should in this position but it still would not go. I know 5 months ago before i bought it, the clutch felt the same before the adjustment. I bought it with it not running in hopes of just putting a new clutch in, i just want to know for sure its the clutch before i replace it.

Hmmm. Both nuts should be on the side facing away from the rear firewall, if I recall. Because the clutch cable comes in from the rear, and has to be able to pull the fork back to release the clutch. They should be adjusted so the pedal goes down just a little bit before starting to pull the release fork back. Have someone watch to see that the release fork is indeed moving when you step on the pedal.

I would suspect the transmission might be between 4wd hi and 4wd lo. I've done that before and it just sort of sits there. If it's not that, and the release fork is moving, it sort of sounds like it needs a new clutch.

my cable comes in from the front by the motor then turns 180 to a bracket then from the bracket the actual cable is exposed then it connects to the fork and then the round spacer then first nut and then smaller one after that. if someone had a picture of a properly set up one it would be great thanks.

Can you run through all the gears with the cllutch in and the car running. If So with the clutch out GENTLY try to go from neutral to first gear. Even if your clutch is shot to hell, it should grind, unless the clutch self destructed. I am thinking this is a linkage issue.

With the car off and in reverse (like when you park) try to push the car. There sholud be alot of resistance.

Out of adjustment clutch cable would give grinding. Most modes of clutch failure will give you grinding. Triple chaekc the car in NOT in 4wd neutral.

I think the linkage bushings are shotor you have a borken cv joint or two.

nipper

i can put in every gear while its runing with no grinding. when its in gear the driveshaft does not rotate

sounds like my last clutch.... turned to literally shreds of fiber, what a fun mess that was... spent way too long with a tooth brush cleaning that stuff out.

hope this isn't the case for you.

i can put in every gear while its runing with no grinding. when its in gear the driveshaft does not rotate

if the linkage is in one peice, man, it sounds like your clutch disc just self destructed.

i think your going to have to get under the car and inspect the linkage to make sure its still attached to everything ... otherwise sounds like (without seeing it in person) you have a non-existant clutch disc.

nipper