Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Common causes for EJ22T running rich?

Just what kind of fuel economy are you getting, and has your driving style changed lately?

Could the fuel in your area have switched to the winter blend?

No Check Engine Light, huh?

Could be winter blend but I have been adding an injector cleaner, getting about 10 average, took it to a shop but they couldn't figure it out either, the guy said his code reader died when he tried to check my engine!

:banghead: He said the wastegate was fine!

Thanks.

Maybe an injector is stuck open? Do you have smoke out the tailpipe or a lot of soot in the tailpipe? Do all 4 plugs look the same? I hope you have a leak - otherwise your cat conv is probably toast!

Yes there is a lot of soot in the tailpipe but no smoke really, and last time I looked the plugs were all the same, I will pull the plugs and injectors tomorrow any suggestions on what to look for, will search for injector problems in the meantime.

I looked for a puddle checked everywhere for a leak but didn't find one.

Thanks

Check the codes, go to Legacy777 website.

Have you changed the air filter, PCV valve, fuel filter?

Check the knock sensor for cracks, could be screwing with the timing.

Oh yeah, recheck everything you have done so far, ie. is the O2 sensor hooked up correctly? Is it funtioning?

Check the codes, go to Legacy777 website.

Have you changed the air filter, PCV valve, fuel filter?

Check the knock sensor for cracks, could be screwing with the timing.

Oh yeah, recheck everything you have done so far, ie. is the O2 sensor hooked up correctly? Is it funtioning?

Hi yes I did change the PCV valve fuel filter and temp sensor, the knock sensor looks good, pulled my new plugs with about 50 miles on them and 3-4 are carboned up while 1-2 look pretty good so I am off to get a new used coil pack from the subaru wrecker as I can no longer afford new parts.

Will post the results, did notice that the engine ran good when cold then as it reached operating temperature it got progressivley worse and if I shut it off for a few minutes or it stalled it got worse!

Thanks.

Hi yes I did change the PCV valve fuel filter and temp sensor, the knock sensor looks good, pulled my new plugs with about 50 miles on them and 3-4 are carboned up while 1-2 look pretty good so I am off to get a new used coil pack from the subaru wrecker as I can no longer afford new parts.

Will post the results, did notice that the engine ran good when cold then as it reached operating temperature it got progressivley worse and if I shut it off for a few minutes or it stalled it got worse!

Thanks.

when the engine is cold it runs in a closed loop meaning all the programing is the same in the puter when cold[no sensors are being used at this time]after it warms up it goes to puter,then when sensors are bad this is where it shows up.

Not calling you an idiot.

Which? temp sensor did you replace? The one that needs to be replaced is the one on the water bridge between the two block halves. It should be on the drivers side for a Turbo, but on the NAs it on the passenger side.

I replaced the temp sensor that talks to the ecu but all is well I found the problem, went to my local subie wreckers and got a coil, what a difference like a new old vehicle. :)

Off to play, thanks everyone.

Vic.