Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xtended warranty on new subie?

-just noticed other similar posts to this, so i apologize if this is beating a dead horse, but thank you for input here!

my dealer is offering extended warranty with $100 deductible

various levels, but most popular

is the 6 year 80K for 884 bucks (they show some chart with retail price and their discounted price) very reputable dealer here locally.

this sounds like a ripoff,

as i 'm sure they are, but i have been so burned by past cars (thus the soobie purchase)

that i'm paranoid i'll have some major repair the day after 36k passes.

other option is to stay with geico, who offers $250 deductible for 100K miles, no time limit, for only about 50 bucks per year. i can take it to any service place and have used it in the past with minimal hassle.

problem with that is the premiums otherwise are a bit more than i think i could get elsewhere

any advice from experienced soobie owners?

thanks you!

The extended warantee is an insurance policy, and an expensive one at that. How hard do they push the warantee on you when you go into the office to sign the papers for the car? In every case, they pushed pretty hard and had me initial papers to indicate that they had offered it to me and I declined. This is a sign to me that there is a high profit margin for these extended warantees. I have purchased 6 new Subarus in the past 9 years and have never bought the extended warantee.

Consumer reports goes either way. But some helpful things to consider:

The make of the vehicle- good reliability here. If you owned a Ford or a high maint euro toy, extended warranty would be advisable.

How soon are you planning on paying it off? If you have a loan for 5 years, you will be paying a car payment and possibly car repairs at the same time. If you pay it off in three, then that money will be "available" for repairs instead.

CS recommends contacting the manufacturer directly. You can usually always buy an extended through them at any time during the initial warranty. This may sometimes be a better deal because the dealer isn't taking their piece of the pie.

Is this an official Subaru extended warranty? (Gold Plus Plan) When I bought my 2003, the dealer wanted $3000 for an extended Subie warranty for only 5yrs/70k miles $100 deductible. I accepted knowing I could refund within 30 days. I then joined these forums and read how you can usually find cheaper prices at other Subaru dealers in other states. In my opinion, it is worth it if the price is only $884, but ionly f it is an official Subaru Warranty. I've read the transmissions are quite expensive to replace, and you never know when electrical problems may arise. In my case, I found another dealer that only charged $1350 for a 7yr/100k $50 deductible. At the time, this was the actual price charged by Subaru, so the dealer wasn't trying to rip me off. Anyways, after I told my original dealer I wanted a refund, he said he would drop the price from $3000 to $2000. Talk about Stealership. I declined!

What types of cars have you been burned on? I think it's pretty unusual for subies to have major trouble before 150k, but there's always the odd bizzarre failure. I've heard very few horror stories with subies or most japanese cars compared to american or european cars.

I have never bought one with less than 180k, but I've also never paid more than $500 either. I expect periodic repairs in the $200 - $600 range (I do my own work), but since I don't have a car payment, I'll accept that risk, and so far, it's been far cheaper than a car payment.

The new Kia's come with a 100,000 mile warrantee.... I'm not impressed with their quality, but I've never owned one so I can't really speak. They must hold up.

If you want the piece of mind, $884 is not a whole lot for a $20,000 car, to know it will go twice as long before you have to budget for possible major repairs.

Like all insurance policies, there is risk involved. And like all insurance policies, the insurer expects to collect more than they pay out. I bargain hard for my cars to get as low a price as I can get and am not willing to add the additional cost of an extended warantee - they're just too expensive. The 3-year/36 month is good enough for me and I will take my chances after that.

It depends upon the car really. I would make sure that it is an official subaru warrenty, the price sounds too low to be one. The GEICO one is not bad. Whne do you have to buy the arrenty. If you have up to three years to buy it, i would wait out the first two and see if the car gives you an problems.

If i was buying a car with alot of electronic widgets on it, i would get an extended warrenty. The core subaru product seems for the majority is trouble free. If it was a 6 cylinder, i would think about it as there arent many people that have them.

The big ticket items on a car are usually the ABS, transmission, engine and AC compressor. None of these seem ot be an issue with a Subaru.

Emissions are now covered by a federal 100,000 mile warrenty, so that takes care of any engine mgmt issues.

nipper

• 1 month later...

Bought a '06 Forester X auto w/ premium package over the weekend. It's our 1st Subaru!!! Picked it up last night and they dumped the warranty sales pitch on me, blah blah blah. I wasn't prepared for it - I never buy them - but my wife seemed sold, so we bought the 6 year/80,000 for $800 bucks. It's the Gold Plus Plan from Subaru.

It's been nagging me since I bought it last night. I think I might want to get rid of it. I didn't have it on our Honda Civic. Didn't have it on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and that was an American car!!! Both cars were great to us. Bought the Subaru b/c it's supposed to be great, so I'm not expecting any problems.

Somebody above said you could get a refund within 30 days. Is that true??? How do I do it? Can I go through Subaru or do I have to go through the dealer?

Thanks!!!

my buddy is a sales manager at a dealer around here where i just bought my new 2005 OB turbo wagon. the new car warranty is 3/36k miles. if you buy the 5 or 8 yr plan youre just paying for double coverage. best bet wait until 35k miles or almost 3 yrs then go in and buy whichever extended warranty you want. they said there is not a problem waiting til the original warranty is almost up before you purchase the extended. and the price goes down the longer you wait.

My Impreza is about 5 years old with 110k and the only thing that has gone wrong with it that may have been covered by a warranty is a broken door lock that I fixed for under $20. I've had brakes and a timing belt and such but they wouldn't have been covered. I haven't had anywhere close to $880 in unexpected repairs in under 80k miles on any Subaru (or Nissan) I or any member of my family have owned. Put the same amount of money away somewhere, maybe you’ll have to use it, but chances are in a few years you’ll have even more money to do whatever you want with. Take good care of your new Subaru and it will last you a good long time.