Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What engines are in these cars.....??

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying another car for my daughter and I'm looking at these two vehicles. Here's what they are, and what is supposed to be wrong with them..

#1 - 1990 Turbo Loyale (not starting due to starter not engaging flywheel...auto tranny)

#2 - 1988 Wagon (The person I called doesn't know if it's a DL, GL, etc, needs timing belt)

What engines are in these beasts? Also, how would you rate the auto tranny in the Loyale?

Thanks,

NV

They both have the EA-82, but the turbo, is of course a turbo, which some would argue as not very reliable, but if you change the oil on time and keep the cooling system in top condition you won't have any problems.

Auto tranny, not so much. I've heard a lot of bad things about them, although i've never had an EA-82 auto. My Ex has an 88 GL 2wd with an auto, has about 50k on it and it seems to do fine, the biggest issue there is that there is no 4th gear.

I'm personally not a fan of the auto trannies in these cars. Of course, it's hard to know if all the 88 needs is timing belts, but if it is, it would be a good car. Of course, if they don't even know if it's a DL or a GL, how do they know it needs a timing belt.....

Her answer when I asked her that question was:

"Well, that's what my husband says it needs....."

Which does remind me of another question I had..... Are these non-interference engines? Timing belt changes don't scare me.....but bent valves do... ;)

Either way, I'd only be out $500 for both cars, so......

Which does remind me of another question I had..... Are these non-interference engines? Timing belt changes don't scare me.....but bent valves do... ;)

yup, they're non-interferance.

Mine blew a t-belt doing 60mph. Fixed the belt the next day and been fine ever since.

I'd almost be tempted to go with the turbo loyale, but only because I haven't heard of many of them. Only drawback is the automatic, which can be remedied :brow:

But... depending on what the '88 is (DL, GL, d/r, etc) you daughter may like those options better.

Auto tranny, not so much. I've heard a lot of bad things about them, although i've never had an EA-82 auto. My Ex has an 88 GL 2wd with an auto, has about 50k on it and it seems to do fine, the biggest issue there is that there is no 4th gear.

I had a 1990 turbo Loyale AWD. Mine and this one should have a 4 speed auto 4EAT. I liked it!

Overheated mine twice (read two head gasket changes). Air conditioner evaporator heats up the radiator. Have a new radiator and avoid using the AC under turbo load.

I'd almost be tempted to go with the turbo loyale, but only because I haven't heard of many of them. Only drawback is the automatic, which can be remedied :brow:

Speaking of that.... if the trans does go south, what options for replacement, other than auto, are there? And how big of a pain is it?

Thanks....

I have a 92' Loyale wagon, AT, 4wd. I like it fine, as do my daughters. Yes, the AT would be nice if it had a 4th gear, but I only really miss it on hills. I had a '91 MT Loyale wagon until recently, too and my son preferred it. I prefer ATs just cuz' I'm a lazy driver, but both are nice.

My first Subaru was a used 87' GL-10. Personally, I'd stay away from the turbos. IMO, the additional power produced is not enough to make up for the additional risk and maintenance involved due to the extra heat load put on both the oil and cooling systems, as well as the load on the head gaskets. I know a lot of folks really like them though.

I hate AT...with a passion.. I personally will never own another AT for a daily driver.(But will make an exception if I get my 82 GLF coupe back..33K miles now?).

The Turbo would be cool..just take care of it regularly. These cars are just ridiculously easy to work on though.

I bought my Loyale (FWD 5spd) over 2 years ago for $600. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Has just shy of 200,000 miles on it and it just recently got its first new clutch. They do have their quirks though..such as HLA ticks,oil leaks,and timing belts. The oil leaks and tick arent really a problem ..more of an annoyance (spelling).

When my Loyale goes I will be looking for another one.

Either sounds like a decent score for the money.

Should both be EA82's (1.8 DOHC H-4's,) if im wrong someone correct me :)

Techincly it does have two cams. But they are only called SOHC motors. a H4 engine with DOHC has 4 cams, two over each head. Not that this means anything to the subject we're talking about anyway. Just thou8ght I'd correct you :)

I hate autos too. I learnt to drive a auto and it was boring! :D I now only ever drive manuals. If your too lazy to drive a manual, I'd be worried about you on the road at all :-p;):) What does your daughter like more, auto or manual? If shes not fussed about it, I'd go the manual. More reliable.

I would say go with the Loyale, although I prefer manuals, the Loyale is going to be easier to drive (more power unless the '88 is also a turbo, and the tranny should be a 4spd on post-'88 turbos). also, the engine on my mom's '89 GL-10 FT4WD Turbo AT was only spinning at 2500rpm at 70ish, as opposed to 3.5K+ on her '92 Loyale SPFI 3AT...a manual with either engine should split the difference.

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to go with the '88. I went and looked at it today and it HAS to have the best interior I've ever seen on an older car.....almost perfect! And yes, it does look like the belts are blown. No big deal there, although the guy did admit that it has one other "problem". It has push button 4wd and it isn't working. He says it just kinda clicks when you push the button but nothing happens. Any clues as to what this could be and how to fix it?

NV

It has push button 4wd and it isn't working. He says it just kinda clicks when you push the button but nothing happens. Any clues as to what this could be and how to fix it?

NV

There was a great writeup in the USRM from skip about this problem. Most common cause is a lack of vacuum to the two solenoids right by the wiper motor under the hood. The vacuum lines should come from the vacuum cannister on the passenger side rear of the compartment. If none of the heater controls work, this is most likely the problem.