Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill Holder is not working

bella

Probably not adjusted correctly. First check that it actually has the hill holder cable going from the clutch release fork to the hill holder cylinder under the master cylinder. I've seen ones that have been disconnected and taken of. If it's not adjusted right, it will release the brakes before the clutch starts engaging. If it's adjusted to far the other way, it'll never release the brakes :banghead: . You need to find the point where it releases the brakes just before the clutch grabs.

another thing to know... when you're in your driveway testing/adjusting it, make sure you hit the brakes rather firmly before you let off them to see if the hill-holder works...

If you barely tap the brakes, it won't hold regardless, and you'll end up doing a lot more adjusting than you need to, ask how I know... :rolleyes:

To adjust it, first lossen the lock nut then tighten the next nut on the cable so it pulls more cable through the stop. Be careful not to do it too much because if its too tight it wont release the brakes all of the way. So just a turn or two then test it. Like said earlier, fully press the clutch pedal and brake pedal then release the brake pedal while still holding in the clutch and see if the car rolls back or not. If it does then try another turn or two and repeat. When you have it adjusted properly, tighten the lock nut down so it won't back off and come out of adjustment. Its a great feature when working 100%.

Tighten the adjustment cable until you can slip a dime through the spring coil as if the dime were a feeler guage.

With the thickness of a dime as a start you generally need to just test it for proper operation and maybe just adjust it a little more one way or the other.

Cable is there...could be the clutch...or as you said only a tweak??..how to do this??

thanks.

i disconnect them altogether.

i had one that would make me do a burnout every once in a while when i left stop lights. i always figured they draged a little when you took off, before they release, making for worse gas mileage?

nope just meant that it was adjusted wrong. It only holds one wheel, and only when the car is at an incline. The sensativity can be adjusted, and man the thing is a godsend in stop and go traffic :)

nipper