Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brakes won't give me a break

afojc

I have a 88 GL-10 wagon giving me a hard time, the front brakes keep locking up on me, it has a hill holder but I'm not sure if that is what the problem is, I put a new master cylinder and new calipers on and can't figure what the problem may be, any help would be really appreciated, thanks in advanced.

Inspect the front brake lines, as they may be internaly collapsed causing a higher pressure then normal. Actually just go ahead and replace them anyway, if they are OE.

Check to see if you have check valves in the master cylinder. If you do remove them. It sounds as if there is residual pressure stuck in the system, which normally is not a problem for drums, but is for discs.

The hill holder only works on one wheel, so i sort of agree that it was not adjusted right in the other case.

nipper

locking up when you stop? on one side? if so sounds like air in the line. whichever tire is locking up you have air on the opposite side and diagonally from the opposite tire

More like while I'm going down the road, both front brakes are a little spongy when I first leave and get worse as I go, had to loosen brake line and relieve pressure just to get it to move, the brakes we're so locked!!!!:confused::banghead:

can you jack each side up and see which wheel is to blame?

emergency brakes can get stuck/caught. i had a front dragging brake on my way home from work (60 miles to get home)....pulled the wheel off and eventhough the e-brake handle was all the way down the actual lever pulling it was stuck and still applying force. disengaged it and it's worked fine every since. i rebuilt the calipers and greased up the e-brake mechanism shortly after.

if the brake is mushy sounds like some other kind of problem though...was it properly bled?

oh....like the caliper's seized and won't clamp on the disc? I'm not sure what you mean by locked....
No, more like both front brakes get so locked that I can't move it until I relieve pressure by either opening bleader or line, only then can I move it, I will probably replace brake hoses, and go from there>

Have you checked the brake booster yet? Next time you have to drain off fluid, first disconnect the booster and see if that is applying the bearkes. Next try to drain the fluid at the master cylinder. It is possible that you got a bad mastercylinder.

nipper