Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got bearing fixed... still have the same problem...

I get tons of noise (like gears skipping teeth) when going around slow, sharp turns. The outside tire even skips on pavement. I took it to the Subaru dealer and they said the right rear bearing and transfercase is going bad. I had the bear replaced and still get the same noise. Does their verdict sound right? To me it seems like the outside tire is not rotating fast enough compared to the inside tire when going around these slow, sharp turns? Does the transfercase control that? Sound more like the diff. to me.. but I don't know a lot about this stuff.

Anyone else have the same problem? If it is the transfer case, about how much am I looking at to get it rebuilt? Or would it be better to find a tranny/tc at the junk yard?

Thanks.

Sounds like tourque bind, do a search on the board for symtoms other owners have had. If it's an automatic try inserting a 20 amp fuse in the FWD plug under the hood to see if the symptoms go away, if they do it's tourque bind. Some have had luck changing the fluid etc. search "bind" or "tourque bind" for more info.

Good Luck!

Sounds like tourque bind, do a search on the board for symtoms other owners have had. If it's an automatic try inserting a 20 amp fuse in the FWD plug under the hood to see if the symptoms go away, if they do it's tourque bind. Some have had luck changing the fluid etc. search "bind" or "tourque bind" for more info.

Good Luck!

Thanks much. I did the search. I put a 15 amp fuse in the FWD holder and drove it a little. It is hard to tell because there is a light coating of snow outside, but I think there was less noise,tire hopping with the fuse in. I did not notice a light on when the fuse was in.. maybe I just didn't notice it.

I guess I'll do the fluid flush. Is there an additive out there just for helping release bound up packs? Thanks much.

Do the flush, then find a clear parking lot if you can and drive in circles a few times. If it is just gum that will clear it right up. Cross your fingers.

nipper

What fluid should I use? The 75W90NS? Or just what ever the owners manual says?

Is your car an automatic or a manual?

If it is a manual, torque bind will not be an issue. If your car is a manual I would check the CV axles for tears or any sign that the boots are leaking grease. If they are, replace them. If you drive in a circle do you hear a distinct click, click, click sound from the outside tire?

If your car is an automatic, please don't put 75W90 in it. Use ATF ???, whatever the owners manual says.

Thats a good question .. i wish people would tell us auto/manual/model/mileage/engine. My mistake is that i consider torque bind more of an automatic problem then manual. Too bad there isnt a way to post that someplace like a sticky or header. .... this is important information and people always seem to leave it out.

nipper

Thats a good question .. i wish people would tell us auto/manual/model/mileage/engine. My mistake is that i consider torque bind more of an automatic problem then manual. Too bad there isnt a way to post that someplace like a sticky or header. .... this is important information and people always seem to leave it out.

nipper

Well, reconsidering basic questions makes me wonder if the OP has put any odd-sized tires on the vehicle.

Is your car an automatic or a manual?

If it is a manual, torque bind will not be an issue. If your car is a manual I would check the CV axles for tears or any sign that the boots are leaking grease. If they are, replace them. If you drive in a circle do you hear a distinct click, click, click sound from the outside tire?

If your car is an automatic, please don't put 75W90 in it. Use ATF ???, whatever the owners manual says.

Beezer, the car in question is an automatic (I can put the quotes from the original poster that tell us this, if you want), but your comment that Torque Bind "will not be an issue" with a manual is just false. Yes the Automatics have much more of an issue with the bind, but it is not limited to them entirely. I do agree that including engine|trans|model|year info would help us to diagnose common problems, however.

JrFreak, The light on the dash that you are seeing is to indicate that the transmission is in FWD mode, so that you know that you are only driving two wheels at this time. the 75w90NS gear oil is for the differentials, and is not what you want to use in your transmission. You need the ATF recomended for your transmission (Dextron/Mercron III, if I remember correctly), and you can all but do the flush yourself. Change the tranny fluid, drive a few days, then change it again, being sure to do tight circles in a parking lot (in both directions) after each change. If this does not work, then you have more of a problem, and you will need to have the transmission serviced/rebuilt.

Gnuman, I believe you, that it is an automatic. I was pretty sure it was, the 75W90 comment made me wonder. No need to try and fix an auto when it is a manual.

About the torque bind, sorry should have put a "probably or a most likely" in there.

So .......yeah it is probably torque bind.

Beezer

nipper

The car is an automatic with about 100k miles on it. 2.2L 97 Outback Impreza Sport.

I got mixed up about the 75W90NS... About how much would a Subaru dealer charge for a full flush? $100ish? I'd do it... but the 7" of snow we got combined with no garage makes it sorta difficult.

ok *whehw* thought i was loosing it. It really is something to pay somone, otherwise you have to drive up on ramps, drain 2-3 qts, refill , drive, repeat till you get it all changed. Much easier to pay the 99.00. Also at that mileage, this should fix it (i hope). It fixed mine at 180K miles. No reason to go to the dealer for it, but if the price is at 99.00 or less i would.

nipper