Ultimate Subaru Message Board

financing, Used vs. Rebuilt engines

My '98 engine block has a hole blewn through the top of it. :(

I can't find any good used engines for under $2K, and I hear that getting parts for these mo-fo's runs like $450.

There's a denver [where i live] company called CCR that'll get me a rebuilt for like $2800.

I want another good 5-7 years with this car. What are the pros and cons of a rebuilt engine? How can I check up on if CCR does a good job with them or not?

I'm new to this site and i'm thankful for your feedback!!

CCR engines seem to be very popular. Some people on the board have used them...maybe they'll chime in about them.

From what I have heard they provide great products.

If you don't want to spend that much, go to a junkyard and look for a cheap EJ22 to put in it.

CCR drops by the boards on occassion and has been very helpful with some questions i've had, though i've never purchased anything from them (emily is the one that seems to answer questions, frequent the boards). she's most helpful and knowledgeable.

what kind of mileage do you do in a year? 5 years could be 60,000 miles or it could mean 200,000 miles. if you want 200,000 more miles, then rebuild wouldn't be a bad idea. but the EJ22 can handle that kind of mileage....

if you go used, get an EJ22 (2.2 liter) motor and put in it. they are awesome motors and very reliable. if you go used, don't bother with a 2.5 unless it's a really new one...like 2001 and up i believe they use the newer style headgaskets on. and at that point they'd probably be really expensive to find one that new and you're better off with a rebuild and CCR warranty.

i would personally find a used 2.2 liter motor and have a complete tune up done to it...timing belts, water pump, replace all the timing belt pulleys, reseal the oil pump, cam seals and crank seal. i just did all of that to my wifes car and it's only 200 or so in parts. EJ22's can be found relatively inexpensive....i know of handful in the area that i could snag for $200 or less dollars. i'd find the lowest mileage one i could get, give it a tune up like mentioned and drop it in.....an awesome motor for well under $1,000.

i just picked up another 98 OBS (2.2 liter) with 180,000 miles on it and the motor ran perfect with no oil usage. (it was always run with synthetics).

I can't find any good used engines for under $2K, and I hear that getting parts for these mo-fo's runs like $450.

There's a denver [where i live] company called CCR that'll get me a rebuilt for like $2800.

I want another good 5-7 years with this car. What are the pros and cons of a rebuilt engine? How can I check up on if CCR does a good job with them or not?

I would go with a CCR if you plan on keeping the car. And the ccr 2.5 they use updated HG so this should not be an issue either. Converting to a 2.2 would add costs to the project.

from other boards and lists, CCR gets very high ratings. Even when they do have an issue with an engine (i have only seen one) they jump right up to the plate to fulfill the warrenty.

i would recomend them, thats who i would go to, and i am in NY... you are in their backyard :)

nipper

how'd you do that?

i haven't had experience with rebuilts but i do have friends that have gone with rebuilt and they were pleased.they said that if they didn't know it,they would have thought the engines were new.

Have you considered a new shortblock? My '99 OBW spun two rod bearings, destroying the crank last year and I found the cheapest route was new. I paid $1250 for a new shortblock from Subaru. With an oil pump and gasket set, I had about $1700 in the engine. We've got valve grinding equipment in the shop I manage, so the valve grind didn't cost me anything, but even if you have a machine shop rebuild your heads, you'll likely have less than $2,000 innvested.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your input!! I've put this off for a few weeks, but riding the bus is NOT cutting it ~ I need my scooby-doo back! I'm thinking of taking your advice and putting a used 2.2l in it. To refresh, mine's a '98 outback, manual, 2.5l, and a piston just blew a hole through the top of my engine. I'd like to get 150,000K more miles on this car, and I've got a few questions for you.

When you put the 2.2l in your '98, did you have any trouble with the check engine light coming on? Did you replace the intake manifold? Do the EJ22's have an EGR valve? Did you have to replace the computer or the wire harness?

I've never done any auto mech stuff, so i'll be hiring out this labor. If I need a bunch of parts, should I trust a mechanic's pricing, or should I go out and buy the parts myself? I don't know who to trust, man!

If you would like, please email me back at briankuhlman@earthlink.net . I appreciate you're help so much!!

-brian kuhlman

denver, co

i would personally find a used 2.2 liter motor and have a complete tune up done to it...timing belts, water pump, replace all the timing belt pulleys, reseal the oil pump, cam seals and crank seal. i just did all of that to my wifes car and it's only 200 or so in parts. EJ22's can be found relatively inexpensive....i know of handful in the area that i could snag for $200 or less dollars. i'd find the lowest mileage one i could get, give it a tune up like mentioned and drop it in.....an awesome motor for well under $1,000.

i just picked up another 98 OBS (2.2 liter) with 180,000 miles on it and the motor ran perfect with no oil usage. (it was always run with synthetics).