Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy L Sedan (2wd) 147,000 miles.

Several days ago, my brake light came on and stayed on after starting first thing in the morning. Has been on and off a few times only changing after car is turned off/on. Never changing while running. Today is the second day it has stayed on without changing.

Just wondering if this is something that would show a code if I get it hooked up to a reader? I would imagine it is not related to the ABS since that light would have come on if it was. Have worked the E-Brake on and off repeatedly since this is the light that turns on when the e-brake is on thinking that may make a difference, but hasn't.

Any thoughts or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!

95 Legacy L Sedan (2wd) 147,000 miles.

Several days ago, my brake light came on and stayed on after starting first thing in the morning. Has been on and off a few times only changing after car is turned off/on. Never changing while running. Today is the second day it has stayed on without changing.

Just wondering if this is something that would show a code if I get it hooked up to a reader? I would imagine it is not related to the ABS since that light would have come on if it was. Have worked the E-Brake on and off repeatedly since this is the light that turns on when the e-brake is on thinking that may make a difference, but hasn't.

Any thoughts or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Most likely the reservoir is low on fluid either because of a leak or more likely because you are nearing the end of brake pad life. Either take it in to have the brake system inspected or let us know if you are interested in pursuing this as a DIY project.

a brake light is something that you NEVER ignore, out off all the lights on the dash this one comes on you investigate it immediatly.

It sonds like the resivoir is low, and thats from a leak or the pads are worn down really low. Im going to suspect its the pads since your not complainging about brake performance.

ABS may or may not come on with low pads, on some brands it does (like GM), and some it comes on when the third brake light is blown. Just and FYI.

nipper

There is a rubber bellows attached to the cap of the brake fluid rez. Make sure it is not extended out. It should be up against the cap. I don't know why they pop out sometimes, but it do happen.

Also, the brake light was one of the first indications I had when my alternator failed.

There is a rubber bellows attached to the cap of the brake fluid rez. Make sure it is not extended out. It should be up against the cap. I don't know why they pop out sometimes, but it do happen.

This is because of the suction of the system, when the fluid gets low, most is draw into the brake lines and the rubber will be sucked down when it is low, fyi. But like everyone has said, check you fluid and bulbs first.