Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coil ???

This is for the hardcore suby guys.

I have a 89 DL wagon vin # JFZAN52BXKD410335

coil # isE12-116 12V also has a H on it.

Now for my ? I'm looking to replace the coil but the local parts store comes up with 4 different coils and when he called the suby dealer they came up with 1 coil using the VIN # but the want 260.00 $$.So anyhow I need to know if mine has Internal resistor or does mine use external resistor,the parts store came up with a bosch coil for my wagon but it doesn't look like the one that came out.Mine also had a plastic cover over the coil to protect the 2 wires that connect to the coil has a special lip on coil for the plastic cover to stay in place.Anyhow if more info is needed let me know,or else thanks for helping me on this one.

Well I knew I'ld be asked this ? so here goes.No I didn't test mine as I don't know how to test them,but the reason I plan on changing it is this process of elimination.My old plug wires (that looked new) where leaking spark through them,so I bought aftermarket ones 15-18 bucks and the car misses worse so I take them back and get 30+ plug wires and guess what same thing both are leak electricity through wires so I go to subaru and pay 25 bucks car runs alittle better but when it's warmed up still misses.Car had new plugs in it but I put new ones in and also did the cap and rotor thing and that was all done the first wire change so now I'm doing what my mechanic buddy said and trying a new coil he said it could be going bad causing the stray voltage on wire thing unless

someone can tell me for a fact what's wrong I have to go this route I guess.

P.S. who's right on this internal or external 95%

If a coil is bad, the output voltage is low or non existant. It doesn't sound like a coil to me. The wider the gap on the spark plugs, the more voltage it takes to jump the gap. I would start by regapping or replacing the spark plugs. If you regap the plugs, you might try lowering the gap to 0.030". It won't hurt anything and it might help. It's worth a try.

Since you are having problems with the spark not going to the plugs as it should it means that the coil is not getting a good ground to the engine. The spark then will not have a low resistance path through the plug for the return. The problem could be internal to the coil but first make sure the body of the coil and the coil bracket are making good electrical contact. You should be able to measure the resistance of the coil by putting ohmmeter probes between the high voltage output lead and the coil body. Be sure that the ignition is off if you do that. If there is infinate resistance then the coil has a problem. I think a normal resistance may be around 3,000 ohms or less.