Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear engine oil separator??

The aluminum ones were found more then likely on the 90-91 legacies. I'd venture to guess that in 92 they went to the plastic one. My 90 engine has the metal one. My 93 turbo engine I rebuilt had the plastic one.

There's no difference to my knowledge and should be 100% interchangeable.

I've heard that the plastic ones develop leaks. Heard alot of this lately too!! (Related to age/not mileage) Most people think it's their rear seal. (I've never seen a leaking rear subaru seal, even with 100s of 1000s of miles. Even on the old EA71s!)

Anyway, I'm replacing my 2 . One when I do a clutch and the other one at some point. The plate cost $12. It's a direct changeout.

I've heard that the plastic ones develop leaks. Heard alot of this lately too!! (Related to age/not mileage) Most people think it's their rear seal. (I've never seen a leaking rear subaru seal, even with 100s of 1000s of miles. Even on the old EA71s!)

My rear mainseal is leaking, just a little. . . It may have something to do with the small nick in it. . . :rolleyes: I thought they went to the plastic seperators in 95? My 92 has a metal one. I think that after a while they discovered that the plastic seperators were crap, and now they use the metal ones again.

Subaru over here will tell you it has been overtightened if it is cracked around the rolled steel inserts, (even if it is only a few thousands kms/miles old!!:D) I am a HUGE fan of the alloy cover. Over here they didn't go plastic till about 99 on Turbo cases, but on N/A's they were plastic in the 'cheaper' 97 'updates'.

Also, while you are there, remove the piston pin bungs, (large, (14mm?), cap screw on lh side of bell housing behind flywheel., (there is one behind the breather plate also, but it doesn't matter if that one leaks. THese 'bungs' use an alloy washer and hardening type Permatex Sealant, (no 4?). Remove the bung and buff the dried sealant off it. Clean the surfcace of where the washer meets the case, making sure not put any crap down the bore??:D Put some non hardening sealant, like Permatex Aviation Gasket -No 3), or even threebond works well!:D

Cheers

sixpack

• 2 years later...

I know that in the year 2000 and up they were all changed back to metal because of them leaking and having to be replaced so much. The plastic ones were bad man thats all they was leak I can say it was not a good thought on subarus part of that plastic plate. Considering they all started leaking at one point or another, when I worked at the dealer that was one of the main oil leaks that came about in the older models 95-99 roughly.

I know that the "replacement" ones I bought from Subaru a year ago were alloy, very nice. The newer replacement ones look like cheap pressed metal. Glad I have a few nice alloy ones for future engine jobs.

Todd