Ultimate Subaru Message Board

confused - FWD fuse hows it work?

um yeah i have a 1990 Liberty GX AWD WGN and for the past day or so i though i was on AWD but i filpped the FWD fuse cover and theres a 20 amp fuse in there dosen't look blown but haven't put a mutimeter on it yet.

any ways i took the fuse out (haven't driven the car yet with it out) and was expecting a FWD light on the dash? But i thought when the fuse is in the FWD light comes on, and FWD is activated. im a wrong is FWD enabled when the fuse is out?

car is aus spec, and i don't really kno if it has a FWD light in the dash? its got me buggered please help?

I'm not certain about a 1990 Subaru, but here's how the FWD works in my 1999 Forester. When the FWD fuse is INSTALED the car is in FWD!!! The FWD light on the dash board should light, if your car has one. With the fuse removed, the car is in AWD. Generally the fuse is INSTALLED only when a mismatched spare tire must be used on car, or for diagnostic purposes.

um yeah i have a 1990 Liberty GX AWD WGN and for the past day or so i though i was on AWD but i filpped the FWD fuse cover and theres a 20 amp fuse in there dosen't look blown but haven't put a mutimeter on it yet.

any ways i took the fuse out (haven't driven the car yet with it out) and was expecting a FWD light on the dash? But i thought when the fuse is in the FWD light comes on, and FWD is activated. im a wrong is FWD enabled when the fuse is out?

car is aus spec, and i don't really kno if it has a FWD light in the dash? its got me buggered please help?

the rear wheel drive is DEACTIVATED. The fwd light on the dash is supposed to come on (unless its burned out). i bet the fuse is in there cause the car has torque bind. Look in the owners manual im sure it has a fwd light.

nipper

How long have you had the car?

Sometimes if there is a problem like torque bind the pervious owner could pull the FWD light bulb and put a fuse in so that the problem isn't apparent to the prospective buyers.

Unfortunate, because if the buyer doesn't check for a fuse installed they are getting cheated. :banghead:

My '92 Legacy Turbo had a fuse in its block... but no FWD light on and I know it was in AWD due to AWD Burnouts.

My '87 RX has a fuse in its block... and i know its not in FWD mode as well (wheelin trip, 1 wheel in the air rear locker worked like a charm).

-Brian

are we talking about the same fuse?the one under the hood,all by itself? is this a new can of worms opened?

ok got it all figgered out, when it was brought there was a spare on the car, so thats why the fuse was in (i should have checked i kno but hey i stuffed up), never got an owners manual with the car, but the seller did throw in a haynes manual, and even in the wiring digrams theres no FWD light, so basicaly its got new tyres all round, pulled the fuse, and now its working fine, and its raining here. next time i'll definaly check the FWD fuse but im considering my self lucky this time.

My '92 Legacy Turbo had a fuse in its block... but no FWD light on and I know it was in AWD due to AWD Burnouts.

My '87 RX has a fuse in its block... and i know its not in FWD mode as well (wheelin trip, 1 wheel in the air rear locker worked like a charm).

-Brian

Wow, this went over EVERYONE'S heads :lol:

question for you guys:

i have a 00 outback. Assuming my fuse is NOT in...where it is located in case i had to put it in? Does my car have a fwd light? Does anyone know. Sorry if this sounds rudimentary.

I don't know which trans you have. If it's a manual, you don't have (or need) to disable anything. With an auto, there should be a holder clearly marked "FWD"; in my '99, it's in the engine compartment, high on the firewall near the passenger side. My owner's manual covers its location in the "In case of emergency" section under "Temporary spare tire (if equipped)".

The dash indicator light, if it exists, is also "FWD". It is not normally illuminated (tested) like "BRAKE", "ABS", etc. are when the ignition switch is first turned "on".