Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is Justy really Swift?

The 3-cyl engine is Suzuki, and of course it was aslo found in Geo Metro. There was an optional 4-cyl engine on Swift and Metro. On Swift it could also be had with turbo for one or maybe two model years. But in US, only Justy had AWD. I believe Suzuki had AWD available overseas, whether its own or from Subaru. I know the departed Baleno, known here under the bad name Esteem and much underrated, had an AWD version in other markets.

I saw them all over the place in Germany- the 3rd gen Justy is just a rebadged Suzuki Swift, which was rebadged in the US as the first-gen Geo Metro.

Far as I know the US model Justy was all Subaru, and the Suzuki stuff applies to overseas, after the Justy as we know it was not made anymore... from what I saw in that article, it could go either way...

The early Justy also came in 4wd turbo. I test drove one with a 5 speed and it smoked like crazy. It ran like crap but I still regret not buying it ($200), I would be able to rallycross my brains out with that sucker souped up.

If anyone knows of a turbo Justy for sale in the Portland, Oregon area, let me know.

so for curiosity... is that 3 cyl the same as what's in a sprint?

My 91 justy engine has nothing in common with my 87 sprint engine. Also as far as how all the drivetrain is bolted in still nothing in common. I have heard is they started making the Justy in the Hungarian plan around 94. Which is when you stopped seeing them here.

Matt

Apparently, for 1st gen. Justy engine, the only common thing with Suzuki is the number of cylinders, and that might be just because 3 cyl. is not unusual for Japanese domestic minicars. And I thought they were the same. Since 1995, Justy is manufactured by Suzuki at the plant in Hungary.

The early Justy also came in 4wd turbo. I test drove one with a 5 speed and it smoked like crazy.

I think you are mistaken. What are the specifications of the turbo Justy? Early models where carbed from what I have read.

And if anyone would be considering an engine swap, I would think the earlier carbed model would suit the bill well. It was between 1600-1750lbs curb weight if I remember right.