Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Again: Torque Binding, Front on Manual Tranny? Possible?

Sorry for bringing this up again. I've searched the sight and found many issues and fixes for torque binding on auto transmissions, but not manual. I did find one person here that had problems but it was with his rear axle.

My problem is the front passenger side wheel.

I just dropped it off at the Subaru dealer, but after reading some of these posts, feel I may be getting the shaft there and it may be as simple as flushing the transmission fluid????

Any thing I can try before putting $$$ into it? I don't mind putting around $1000 into it, but any thing more than that I may just be selling the thing. Too bad too because it's been a great car up till now.

I need some ideas....

Can explain what you mean by binding on the front only? The binding shouldn't really be front or rear specific.

When making tight turns, like parking, I only hear and feel the 'skipping' in the front passenger side. My wife got out to see and, while she didn't say she saw anything, the noise was definately coming from the front. Other board members here associated that with the torque binding issue others are having.

torque binding is at the rear, never heard it at the front, let alone on one side. People with manuals do get it, just with a manual there are no options as far as how to fix it. The unit is sealed that applies the RWD. Flushing fluid only works with auto trannies.

If it is doing as you say, i would wonder if the front differntial is having issues.

And once again:banghead: year and mileage would help.

nipper

torque binding is at the rear, never heard it at the front, let alone on one side. People with manuals do get it, just with a manual there are no options as far as how to fix it. The unit is sealed that applies the RWD. Flushing fluid only works with auto trannies.

If it is doing as you say, i would wonder if the front differntial is having issues.

And once again:banghead: year and mileage would help.

nipper

Sorry, I'm a newbie. 99 Forester S manual with 114k

I agree with the CV diagnosis. Open differentials can't bind unless there's something broken, which is what the front diff should be (open I mean, not broken :) ).

Dealer came back and said it was center differential and $1000. The noise is there whether the clutch is depressed or not. I know I'm depressed....:rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm a newbie. 99 Forester S manual with 114k

The MT has a viscous center differential. This unit can only be replaced, not repaired. USUALLY when they fail, you silently lose AWD. In fact MT drivers often don't even know that the viscous differential has failed until they unexpectedly get stuck in the snow-the rear wheels won't spin!!! I only remember one or two posts where MT owners said that their center differentials made noise.

mtbe, get a second opinion. Take a look at the right CV joint (the outside one is the most likely to be bad) too. if the boot around the CV joint is broken, then replace the halfshaft. I'm betting that this will solve the problem. a sound only on one wheel is almost always associated with the halfshaft feeding that wheel, or it's wheelberring. If you are hearing the noiuse in the front, it will be the front diff if any. I suspect that your diffs are (all three) fine, and that you have a bad CV joint. This can be replaced without replacing the entire halfshaft, but it would cost the same, and you would still have the worry of the other CV joint on that shaft going (each halfshaft has two CV joints). For a rebuild halfshaft, you are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $60, compared to $1000 for a repair that you may not need.. . .

• 2 weeks later...

It ends up that it was the center differential viscous coupling unit. I just had it replaced and it is not making that noise again.

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas!!! I hope to return the favor some day.

Glad you got it fixed; sorry it was so pricey.

I obviously need some updating. When/what models did Subaru start using the viscous center diff with the manual transmission? Is it just the same as the "clutch pack" at the back of the automatics?

figure out why it failed in the first place.

Are your tires uneven/different/underinflated?

It very well could have been. They are not that way now, but this past summer and winter one tire I've contantly had to fill. Just had it checked and fixed with rim sealer. I didn't realize that it had that much of an affect.....

It ends up that it was the center differential viscous coupling unit. I just had it replaced and it is not making that noise again.

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas!!! I hope to return the favor some day.

Return that favor now and tell me that you have possession of the replaced defective parts.