Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need new ignition switch - '95 Legacy

For some time now I have occasionally had difficulty getting the key out of the ignition switch on my '95 Legacy wagon. Last week it finally let go and I can only turn the key back one click, to the point where accessories still work. The key will/does come out (not in an entirely healthy way) at this same point.

The car is getting a bit long in the tooth (240K miles) but still runs great and treats me well. How difficult is it to replace the ignition switch? Should I simply buy a used one and put it in? I realize this will require different keys for door and ignition but that's something I can live with. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Go for the used switch. Using a diff key for door and ignition is no biggy.....we have been doing it for years in an old Dodge Ram. Now that I think more about it, try just using a screwdriver or dummy key in the ignition. We actually do start our 1982 GL Sub wagon with a paperclip that we keep in the ashtray. No lie. Almost any key will start the car also. But weirdness, I know, somehow the car never gets stolen! :-)

Well, I'm not sure about an ignition switch, but I've swapped tumblers over in a door lock. It just takes a few minutes really. Imagine my suprise last year when I went to unlock the door and the key did a 360 yet nothing happened:drunk:. Once the old switch is out it may be worth taking a look at on the bench, just don't mess with the new(er) one unless you're sure you can dissassemble and reassemble it.

Try a brand new key. The dealer can cut one with the key code (likely stamped on one of the original keys).

Shawn, are you suggesting I try a new key with the existing ignition?

I think I can overcome the downside(s) of a new (different) ignition switch (two keys, rekeying, etc). The remaining question is how hard is it to replace the switch in question? Is it simply a matter of taking apart the column and pulling out the existing switch? I'm no stranger to hand tools just trying to determine what I'm in for and how long it might take.

Thanks to all.

Mike

Hold on, I just remembered that the when these switches are installed you purposely break the bolt head off. So if you do get a used switch you're still going to need new bolts...or to find a new method of installation.:cool:

Hold on, I just remembered that the when these switches are installed you purposely break the bolt head off. So if you do get a used switch you're still going to need new bolts...or to find a new method of installation.:cool:

ok... yes the bolt heads do break off when you install the switch...

BUT (and this may come in handy for thoses who own 2 suubies) if you have a working key (it may need to be turned) you can extract the 'keyway" with out removing the switch from the column. there is a button/slot you push in, when the key is in the ignition (and turned, i think) that releases the 'keyway'. you can then have it rekeyed. (2 cars can share the same key.)

this means you don't have top mess with the 'brokenen off head bolts'. however i've done both and the bolts are not impossible to remove, time and patience and chisel and tapping.

you can also remove the dooor lock keyway and have that rekeyed to match the new ignition key... however, the door lock is very hard to reinstall with the bolts. it has a retaining clip which goes in pretty easy, and everything works, but there is one bolt that's really hard.

did you know that the 95 legacy and the 90 nissan pickup share the same ignition keyway. ( 15.9GAL gas tanks too, i think)i have owned both and the same key operates both cars. what a joy.

good luck, john

did you know that the 95 legacy and the 90 nissan pickup share the same ignition keyway. ( 15.9GAL gas tanks too, i think)i have owned both and the same key operates both cars. what a joy.

as keys wear down they are more and more likely to fit other cars if they are "close" to begin with. i've had a few keys that could fit other cars. more than likely if you had two brand new keys for each car they would not work in each other. on the keys that worked in multiple cars, it was only the high use, worn down keys that would work across mroe than one vehicle. if i used a "newer" identical key it wouldn't work (except in the one it was for obviously). if they get worn enough they can be removed, slide right out, while the car is running. that's quite funny as well.

Shawn, are you suggesting I try a new key with the existing ignition?

I think I can overcome the downside(s) of a new (different) ignition switch (two keys, rekeying, etc). The remaining question is how hard is it to replace the switch in question? Is it simply a matter of taking apart the column and pulling out the existing switch? I'm no stranger to hand tools just trying to determine what I'm in for and how long it might take.

Thanks to all.

Mike

My key used to hang up in my '95 legacy sedan. I had the dealer cut a new key from the vin # and it's been working great. Might be worth a shot before you tear into the switch.

as keys wear down they are more and more likely to fit other cars if they are "close" to begin with. i've had a few keys that could fit other cars. more than likely if you had two brand new keys for each car they would not work in each other. on the keys that worked in multiple cars, it was only the high use, worn down keys that would work across mroe than one vehicle. if i used a "newer" identical key it wouldn't work (except in the one it was for obviously). if they get worn enough they can be removed, slide right out, while the car is running. that's quite funny as well.

true, diff cars use different keys, but when auto makers use the same keyway and key blank, you can have one of the cars rekeyed to match the other. now one key will fit both cars, carrying fewer keys is a plus in my book. imagine one key fitting all 3 of your subarus.

subaru and nissan (older ones anyway) use the ignition keyway, maybe switch. just like all fords use the same keyway.

so which wears out faster, the key or the keyway?