Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here is my question I smell oil burning once in a while when I leave the defroster on for a long time other than that it work find

I have A 98 nOutback with the 2.5, man. with only 56k on motor although it is salvaged. Anyanswers?

look at your axles, a broken CV boot will spray oil on the exhaust and it burns off and smells like burning something...oil you might say.

pop the hood and look down where the axle (only shaft that goes from the tire to the transmission), there's a rubber boot on each end of the axle. inspect it to see if it's broken. note, the broken or cracked portion could be on the side you can't see by looking under the hood, inspect all the way around. usually it'll be obvious by grease spattering and coming out of it. it'll be wet. the grease gets on the exhaust and smokes off.

this isn't a huge deal. $150-$200 to replace but it's not urgent...except the smell. you can wait a looooong time to replace axles.

any oil spots on the driveway, in the garage. that would point to an oil leak. small leaks are not the end of the world, nice to know where they are coming from though.

i would not suspect a rear seal leakage though unless someone had the motor out previously (unlikely with low mileage).

do you know why it was salvaged? that might help to know.

Is the A/C working? The defroster engages the a/c compressor - and the refrigerant system has oil in it - a sensitive nose might smell it if the coil has a leak. Though it wouldn't smell 'burnt'. If it smells 'sweet'/toasted marshmallows that would be coolant.

Doesn't take but only a drop or 2 of grease or oil to make a big stink on the exhaust!