Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump sucks...

It's just a universal pump. It will fit any car that's carbureted and has an inline electric fuel pump or that's converted to use an electric pump. Here's a link to the part on partsamerica.com:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MST&mfrpartnumber=E8016S&parttype=52&ptset=A

If you follow the link, there's a link on the part detail that lists all the cars the pump fits.

I have a universal-type inline electric fuel pump on mine. You just need to make sure the fuel pump is for a carbureted vehicle, as fuel injected pumps put out much higher pressure and will make your carburetor flood.

Conversely, a pump for a carb'd vehicle will start, but not run, a fuel injected wagon. Experience speaking there. :-/

-=Russ=-

remember, you can mount the new one in the engine bay instead of under the car, just remove the old pump and add a section of hose to replace the space where the old pump use to be, then plumb in the new pump and run power to it via a toggle switch for added security or run it off the existing wiring. like everyone else said, dont get a fuel injection pump.

~Josh~

The bigest problem is that here in Europe, it,s dificult to find parts for American machines.

Today bought a fuel pump for an injection car but the deyt and pressure of the fuel is too high.

Can someone tell me a machine model ( an europen one) where ti fit a pump like mine?

Or maybe has anyone a bosch code of an equivalent pump?

Hi,

What's the problem? The fuel pumps on these are pretty rugged, but do need a good power supply to run. Check the electric feed and ground to the unit - if the pump's at fault replacing it should work, if not it could be poor quality fuel, or crud in the fuel tank. Is there an in line filter to renew? Presume you've eliminated everything else such as ignition system and carb problems. I had a brat with running problems - turned out that the fuel pump wasn't getting enough electrical power from corroded terminal to it!

The bigest problem is that here in Europe, it,s dificult to find parts for American machines.

Today bought a fuel pump for an injection car but the deyt and pressure of the fuel is too high.

Can someone tell me a machine model ( an europen one) where ti fit a pump like mine?

Get a pump for any carbureated small gas car and you should have approximately the right delivery and pressure. They aren't real picky.

I've used a universal carberated fuel pump from this company with excellent results:

www.mrgasket.com

You may be able to get one thru mail order. They are about 1/3 the price of an OEM pump.

You could relocate the pump in the engine bay as mentioned above, but I would reccommend leaving the pump underneath, and moving only the filter to the engine bay (some models have the filter located next to the pump). Besides the wiring issue, the pump would probably have to work harder {and wear out faster} if it were further upstream in the fuel system. Maybe it was just my imagination, but but fuel flow seemed stronger and smoother with the seperation between the pump and fuel filter.

good luck, John

First off, these are not American Machines? :lol:

Second, I'd make sure it's really your fuel pump and not your fuel pump control unit?

If the fuel pump control unit goes out, your fuel pump will not run.

If it really is the fuel pump and your having difficulty finding a compatable replacement, why not try a Junk Yard or Auto recycling place?

Just a thought?

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

On carbureted Subarus, it's really easy to bypass the fuel pump control circuit. All you do is run a wire from the + terminal on your coil to the + wire of the pump. The other wire goes to ground. The pump runs whenever the ignition is on, but since it's a recirculating system, that's not a problem.

Hi everybody!

The problem was that the pump inside has a Plunger wich sends the fuel to the carburetor. But this plunger weared the cylinder where it's working so the blocking of the plunger was inevitable.

The fault wasn't electrical because with a control lamp first of all I controlled the power taping and it was OK.

Then I found the pump of an EJ10 what fittes perfectly and ready to go.

Than you for your kind help.