Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Wire Change Tips? 97 Outback

Hi All,

Well the damp chilly weather has finally forced me to get off my rump roast and change the wires and plugs. I've been having misfiring and difficult start (sparking) in the damp weather- this combined with the fact that the wires look to be the original- has lead me to the conclusion that plugs and wires are suspect. There is also some arcing that can be seen at night!

I've just spent the last 2 hours removing bits to get to the plugs and finally got #4 out (what a PITA!) and finally tracked down some wires at NAPA across the border in Buffalo. I'm losing light so I'll probably finish in the AM- any tips for re-assembly?? The plugs were Bosch Plat +4; are these pre-gapped out of the package? Does anyone know the correct gap and have plug suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Everything I've read on this board says OEM wires and NGK plugs ONLY, Gap is .039 - .041, should be .040 right out of the box.

It was all pretty easy in about two liesurely hours on our '00 Legacy, but then it's a Brighton, so doesn't have many accessories to remove.

Caution. People have had hit and miss success (no pun intended) with Bosch +4's in Subaru engines. NGK is recommended and never a problem.

The multiple grounds on the +4 plugs can actually interrupt / interfere with the development of the flame front from the spark, leading to poor(er) combustion. That is one explantion I've heard.

Your car recommends the platinum plugs for 96k km interval. (I have a 97 OB as well and just had the plugs changed today.)

Commuter

I love NGK...that's what I use in my Subarus. But if you have difficulty locating them, Denso plugs are a good alternative.

I had Bosch +4s in the 93 Subaru (because they did well in a Volvo) and they worked great for about 12000 miles. Then I started having a rough running engine and lower than average gas mileage. Replaced them with NGKs and haven't looked back since.

Tips! On my 2.2 engine it helps to take washer tank off. Keep a couple of the old wires for a spare just in case the next time you change plugs one of the ends come off of your wire. it's hard to buy a replacement when stores are not open. Never use the rachet to start the plug, I use the socket and extention, and then check it by fingers to make sure it screws in and out easy before putting the wrench on it, if it is straight it will have a little movement side to side each way before you get it tight.

Coat the inside of your plug wire boots with diletric grease (both ends) and they won't break next time you have to remove them. You'll find it at any auto parts store. Don't use any other kind or lubricant!

Hi All,

Well the damp chilly weather has finally forced me to get off my rump roast and change the wires and plugs. I've been having misfiring and difficult start (sparking) in the damp weather- this combined with the fact that the wires look to be the original- has lead me to the conclusion that plugs and wires are suspect. There is also some arcing that can be seen at night!

I've just spent the last 2 hours removing bits to get to the plugs and finally got #4 out (what a PITA!) and finally tracked down some wires at NAPA across the border in Buffalo. I'm losing light so I'll probably finish in the AM- any tips for re-assembly?? The plugs were Bosch Plat +4; are these pre-gapped out of the package? Does anyone know the correct gap and have plug suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Thanks, this is a tip I need, I will put that on my list for next trip to parts store.

Coat the inside of your plug wire boots with diletric grease (both ends) and they won't break next time you have to remove them. You'll find it at any auto parts store. Don't use any other kind or lubricant!

i know it's annoying and a pain but you would be much better off in the long run getting OEM subaru wires and NGK plugs unfortunately. there's a reason everyone is saying this. these motors are brutal on spark plug wires, they need to be specifically designed for these motors, the deep plug wells and difficulty in seating. aftermarket wires often short out the side or elsewhere. the only exception i know of is Magnecor, they only offer one of their sets of wires for the 2.2 and 2.5 liter motors because they had so many problems with the design/layout of this motor. i have a set on my OBS. the previous aftermarket wires sucked really bad. i seated them right, used the appropriate installation and grease on them and they still sucked. i only used them while i awaited delivery in the mail of the ones i ordered because i was getting a CEL.

Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately I need the car running and the local Subaru dealer went under and is now being staffed by Honda folks who are doing their best to fill the void left by the demise of the dealership- still getting parts but takes about a week.

NAPA has a set of Beck/Arnley for $59- the parts guy even needed to know the month of manufacture as I guess this determines which set is required. I'm guessing b/c of fit. Anyone had experience with these wires? I'll check Subaru dealers in Buffalo and see what they have.

Thanks again,

Mike

Thanks again- I just called a Buffalo dealer and they have wire for $66! I follow the advice of posters and stick with the oem parts!! Thanks again and have a great new year to all!

Mike

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Thanks again-

sure thing, i've learned alot from this board as well. one of the best groups i've seen. glad you scored a set of OEM wires. remember to pat yourself on the back in 3 years when you've forgotten about them and realized you haven't had any issues since.

Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately I need the car running and the local Subaru dealer went under and is now being staffed by Honda folks who are doing their best to fill the void left by the demise of the dealership- still getting parts but takes about a week.

NAPA has a set of Beck/Arnley for $59- the parts guy even needed to know the month of manufacture as I guess this determines which set is required. I'm guessing b/c of fit. Anyone had experience with these wires? I'll check Subaru dealers in Buffalo and see what they have.

Thanks again,

Mike

just don't buy "packard" ignition wires they have a very short life