Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill climbing

Need some opinions. Do you think this is good? I can go up a 8% Grade that is three miles long ( goes from 25 to 55 at bottom of hill)starting in third gear and shifting to forth gear at 5.500 then dropping to 3000 rpms at 60 mph with out loosing any speed. Stock except for after market 14 inch x 2 inch round crome air cleaner and spark plugs from an 98 outback wagon ( they were free new) Ea 82 carbed no cat no emissions with 103.000 miles on it. 5 speed D/R

Need some opinions. Do you think this is good? I can go up a 8% Grade that is three miles long ( goes from 25 to 55 at bottom of hill)starting in third gear and shifting to forth gear at 5.500 then dropping to 3000 rpms at 60 mph with out loosing any speed. Stock except for after market 14 inch x 2 inch round crome air cleaner and spark plugs from an 98 outback wagon ( they were free new) Ea 82 carbed no cat no emissions with 103.000 miles on it. 5 speed D/R

Hey just noticed you are in PA where you at? I can climb some decent grades at about the same rates you just described as long as I am moving. If someone stops to turn at the bottom I can never get it up to 4th. I have 2inch lift and 26.5" tires too :)

Hey just noticed you are in PA where you at? I can climb some decent grades at about the same rates you just described as long as I am moving. If someone stops to turn at the bottom I can never get it up to 4th. I have 2inch lift and 26.5" tires too :)
I live in Nesquehoning between jim thorpe and tamaqua wich is like 250 miles from you. Even if some one turns in front of me at the bottom of the hill i can still get it back up to 60 in about half a mile.

Wouldnt nos destroy a stock engine?

No it wont. What I would use is a NOS airbox Fogger system. Snowmachine Hill Climbers and High markers use it. IT sprays a mist of NOS into your airbox.

MEaning its not as hard on the engine. Its not a huge HP boost, but with a sooby, it will give it 15-20 HP and it would be something you could use a lot more often than the standard spray directly into the manifold after the injectors or straight into the cylinders..

May be something to look into. Just remember to up the size of everything because you are running it on a 1800CC engine not a 700 or 800 cc 2 stroke sled.

What about water injection i have read that it on hills helps to. Im not complaneing about the speed i can get up a hill but the faster you can get to the top the better i think. I think the sube i have now is better then any other that has carb that i have ever drivin.Ive tested other 86 gl wagons and they were dogs compared to this one. This one i never even put a timing light on it just did it by eye and ear so i must be close if it runs this good. Does anyone on this board run a holley weber 5200. I got one free that was a rebuild at the factory but i am waiting for spring to put it on because my hicrappy is running good for now. Does the holly weber perform as well as weber 32/36? icon6.gif