Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any trick to getting steel wheels off?

I plan on putting my 15 pugs (w/ Nokian Hakkapaliittas (yay)) on sometime soon but I am pretty sure the stock steel wheels have rusted on and might take some work to get off. Is there an easy way to get stubborn wheels off besides the BFH and some powerful swings?

If not, whats the easiest way to get 'em off with a BFH? I imagine you wouldn't want to be directly hitting the wheel so maybe use a peice of wood to pound on? What do you guys do????

I have an air tool called a pin scaler. Basically high speed jackhammer effect with lots of steel pins that stick out. It's for cleaning paint and rust off of metal. I give the wheel a hit with that round the studs while pulling on the back and most of them pop off. I have had to break down to the BFH before though.

never has for me, i`ve done it on several cars including subarus.

Penetrating oil and a few whacks with a 4x4.

Apply the oil in the bolt holes and around the wheel center.

Just did that last night (works every time with minimal fuss). Silicon grease on the hub/wheel surface prevents it from seizing as bad in the future.

When I put the wheels on, I use a liberal coat of anti-seize on the face of the hub, and also on the threads of the studs.

I would urge extreme caution against putting any lubricant on the threads of your wheel studs. You really don't want your lug nuts coming loose. Just not a good idea.

I would urge extreme caution against putting any lubricant on the threads of your wheel studs. You really don't want your lug nuts coming loose. Just not a good idea.

Anti-seize isn't much of a lubricant. I've been using it for several years, and I've never had problems with lug nuts coming loose.

The only time I've had lug nuts coming loose was the last time I took my car in for new tires. I didn't check and re-torque the lug nuts afterwards, like I normally do. It only took a couple of days on the gravel roads before the lug nuts had started to loosen off. Needless to say, I got myself a discount on my next tire purchase from there. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, driving around in circles didn't seem to work. I think I'll just take it to a local auto place and have them pound the bejesus out of them, they seem pretty good on there. Also, by the wear of my tires I am pretty sure they haven't been rotated for the whole life of them so I imagine those rear wheels haven't been off in years.