Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why hasn't Subaru recalled the HG?

I was looking to buy a 1996 Outback with 86,000 miles. Then I started reading several forums. It seems the HG is a major problem from 96 - 99. Why hasn't Subaru recalled the problem? Toyota recalled their HG on the V6 back in the 90's and it is still offering the recall - and any another other work needed from the failure to make the truck whole. If Subaru wants to be the BMW of Japan, they better get their act together.

if it hasent happend by now, its not going to...just like how microsoft screwed everyone on their first batch of xbox's having the faulty disk drive...buisness wise both companies think loosing a certain percent of consumers is not a big deal to them..also i dont think a very high percentage of cars were actually effected ,or the percentile of cars effected was not met to have a recall for subaru..keep in mind that people who have sucessful hg's usually dont post about them, because they need no help/answers.

I was looking to buy a 1996 Outback with 86,000 miles. Then I started reading several forums. It seems the HG is a major problem from 96 - 99. Why hasn't Subaru recalled the problem? Toyota recalled their HG on the V6 back in the 90's and it is still offering the recall - and any another other work needed from the failure to make the truck whole. If Subaru wants to be the BMW of Japan, they better get their act together.

Is the 96 a 5spd? If so then it has a 2.2, no HG issues.

Actually HG failures are around 10-20, not 100 like toyota. Also Toyota still has issues with thier motors, and to get the recall on the 3.0 toyota you had to be orginal owner and under 100k. Most Subaru HG if they do blow blow over 100k.

most of the phase 1 2.5 engines have issues. most i have heard of happen between 80 and 140 k miles. the phase 2 2.5 has an extended warranty when the "cooling system conditioner" (a.k.a. "stop leak") recall is performed and maintained at a 30k interval from that point, head gaskets will be under warranty up to 100k. never mind that they still leak again later and/or plug up (stop leak) the radiator so you over heat and blow an engine!

what car are you looking at? i have three 97 and 98 impreza's with 2.2 liter motors. the 2.5 is the only one with head gasket issues, the 2.2 is a beast of a motor.

and "head gasket problem" is vague terminology. toyota's V6 may have had a much larger percentage problem or design flaw than the subaru 2.5 liter. really no way to compare without seeing numbers/statistics.

I know this isn’t a scientific study, but I have been reading a lot on three different Subaru forums and three Toyota forums. The HG problem seems to be reported much more on the Subaru sites than on the Toyota sites. Maybe that is because Toyota recalled them and now it’s not a problem. A ’94 Toy 4x4 pickup I am looking at had the HG recall performed in ’98, so may be that explains why I don’t see any chatter about HG like I do on the Subaru sites.

To clarify, Toyota’s recall covered any owner of the affect vehicle, not just the original owner. As a matter of fact, the vehicle I am looking at has not had a steering shaft link recall performed and Toyota told me that I buy the truck it is still covered.

RWEDDY, the ’96 is an auto and the dealership told me it’s a 2.5?

How about this one – ‘95 Subaru Legacy Outback $4,100, Green Wagon, 103000 Miles, 5 speed Manual Transmission, AWD, 4 Cylinders, Good Condition. Would the HG problem apply to this also?

I know this isn’t a scientific study, but I have been reading a lot on three different Subaru forums and three Toyota forums. The HG problem seems to be reported much more on the Subaru sites than on the Toyota sites. Maybe that is because Toyota recalled them and now it’s not a problem. A ’94 Toy 4x4 pickup I am looking at had the HG recall performed in ’98, so may be that explains why I don’t see any chatter about HG like I do on the Subaru sites.

To clarify, Toyota’s recall covered any owner of the affect vehicle, not just the original owner. As a matter of fact, the vehicle I am looking at has not had a steering shaft link recall performed and Toyota told me that I buy the truck it is still covered.

RWEDDY, the ’96 is an auto and the dealership told me it’s a 2.5?

How about this one – ‘95Subaru Legacy Outback$4,100, Green Wagon, 103000 Miles, 5 speed Manual Transmission, AWD, 4 Cylinders, Good Condition. Would the HG problem apply to this also?

96 stick is a 2.2 96 auto 2.5

95 and earlier has 2.2, any legacy.

To go a bit furthur on the fair side Subaru paid for my phase 2 head gasketswhen I was the second owner and it was way out of warranty.

On the other hand my friend Ernie had one of those Toyotas that needed a whole new engine. The way Toyota handled it has made him a customer for life.

Back on topic... about automotive recalls:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/28007-automotive-recalls-explained.htm

As mentioned before, it's not a safety issue. If you want to contact the NHTSA and plead your case that's what you need to do, but I don't think they'll care much about something that probably wouldn't cause an accident. Rehashing the subject here again and again will definitely not initiate a recall.

Steve

Subaru actually did a better job addressing the issue in the phase I EJ25 thean they did with the phase II. For the former, a redesigned headgaskey replaces the original, correcting the problem (In most cases permanently). The recall to get stop leak in the coolant is a response that I consider to be unworthy of Subaru. When I get one of these early 2.5's in my shop, I replace the headgaskets as a mater of course, along with the timing belt, oil seperator, and reconditioning the oil pump. In this way, when we sell a refurbished Subaru, it is likely to live up to the reputation Subaru developed over the years, and the 2.5L engines have been eroding of late. . .

In the clear. The recall went to 2003 if I remember correctly. I have the post 2003 gaskets on mine now and I am not sure when they hit the production line. It does not matter much becuse if they think you could leak they will ask you to come in for the goop. If you add the goop you are warrented to 100,000 miles.

I had mine replaced way before Subaru recognised the problem and they still paid me back on a second owner car way over the mileage.

Just got finished replacing both of my HG's (97 OBW) 135k, so I guess I lucked out from the sounds of things. Hey fellow shade tree's, you have advice on a weak or non working AWD? Front wheels spin on wet roads. Rear wheels don't seem to have any power. No fuse in the FWD socket. :) Dealer mech's say no codes popping and I don't hear any mechanical noise. It's giving me fits.

Just got finished replacing both of my HG's (97 OBW) 135k, so I guess I lucked out from the sounds of things. Hey fellow shade tree's, you have advice on a weak or non working AWD? Front wheels spin on wet roads. Rear wheels don't seem to have any power. No fuse in the FWD socket. :) Dealer mech's say no codes popping and I don't hear any mechanical noise. It's giving me fits.

Try driving the car on a slick patch in second gear. The AT should be locked into 50/50 AWD in 1st and second gears. The result might help point you in the right direction.

well, once hg failure starts killing people they might recall it, lotta recalls dont happen unless someone dies..

Head gaskert failure is not a saftey item, and the mode of failure not even in ones wildest imagination can cause an injury or death. Also the problem is over 5 years old now in less then 15% of the vehicals. It is also so small a leak that it doesnt effect emissions, so an emissions recall can not be instituted either.

nipper

You may have to take it to a tranny shop and let them throw some pressure gauges on the system to see if its working right.

of course the 10.00 question, when was the last time you had the tranny flushed?