Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carlisle May 19-21

OK, I've got a really freaking Crazy Idea for Carlisle.

I've got a 96 Legacy GT that I've dubbed the Furnace. It goes through about a quart of oil every 150 miles. I've got a set of heads from the original motor that were decked and cleaned, and I'm working on getting what should be a good used short block from a 99RS. Who would be up for putting on a little show for the crowd? The show would be pulling the existing motor out, assembling the "new" motor, and installing it? Right now it's just a crazy thought, but who would be in?

Keith

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 96 Legacy GT that I've dubbed the Furnace. It goes through about a quart of oil every 150 miles. I've got a set of heads from the original motor that were decked and cleaned, and I'm working on getting what should be a good used short block from a 99RS. Who would be up for putting on a little show for the crowd? The show would be pulling the existing motor out, assembling the "new" motor, and installing it? Right now it's just a crazy thought, but who would be in?

Keith

Keith

sounds cool to me.. wish I could be there to help :banghead:

Keith

What crowd? Everybody tends to stay away from us.:lol:

Ah, but this may draw a crowd!!! Get people to see just how easy a subaru is to work on. Not like a Fiero! :rolleyes:

or a plymouth breeze!!

(don't let huck see you bashing the fieros.. word on the street is that he used to roll the feeee-aero :-p )

Ah, but this may draw a crowd!!! Get people to see just how easy a subaru is to work on. Not like a Fiero! :rolleyes:

that would be kinda interesting... dont see any reason why not to try it unless carlisle is going to have a problem with it. im still pretty green when it comes to wrenching but id help.

I'm up for just about anything.... do you have a tent to put the car under so we can work on it? We are not going to be able to use the "carlisle tent" for this.

I've got two EZ-Up Tents. That should be enough. I've secure the use of a rolling engine hoist if we do it. My only concern would be the mess with coolant, but I can setup a giant tarp and bring a big bag of oil dry. When you think about it, an engine swap is fairly easy. I did it almost completely myself in 10 hours. With a few people doing odds and ends I would imagine it could be done in under 6.

The one year, one of the clubs assembled a kit car from start to finish, so I don't think Carlisle has any issues with something like this...

Does this mean you're not bringing the rally car??:(

No. I'm bringing the Rally car down on a trailer, and I'm going to have my fiance bring the furnace. I figure that worse case I have to trailer the furnace home saturday night and come back sunday morning.

Keith

sounds good to me. If you want to do it than I say what the heck. Definatly bring the tents so that if it would rain we can continue on working. :headbang:

Now I just have to convince Moosen to do me a favor and pick up the short block (located 45minutes east of him) and bring it with. :brow: Then I might actually be able to get this thing fixed mecahnically so that I can fix the body stuff and sell it! :banana:

Keith, here's another thought. You could take our race SVX to the next level at Carlisle. Install some lexan windows a roll cage, fuel cell and all the goodies we need to climb hills at lightening speed.

Oh and PLEASE BRING A TENT! Matt and his birthday suit=scary!

Keith, I'm probably the same distance away from the engine and I'm also bringing a crappy wagon of some sort in addition to the '73 and the Justy. I think Paul's just bringing his '78 and the coupe...send us both the details, I can probably grab it no problem.

Between the two of us we should be able to get that engime to you.Like I said in the PM see if you can get the guy to bring it here,that'd help a lot.But I'd need it to be here that Friday night,or I have no place to keep it.

Keep Matt clothed!!!!:lol:

OK,update that list.

Me-2 cars

Andrew- 2 cars

Matt

Ben

Dave

Melissa

Keith

Mike?

Jay?

Whatshisface

The other guy

the other other guy.....etc.....

Oh,don't forget Scott.......

We might not get 25 but we'll all help Matt out with the money he's tossing out so he can keep his skin from becoming red.:lol: Now watch,it'll be 45 degrees and overcast all day.

Paul, I'm bringing 3 so long as Connie and Tom are still coming. My Justy will be...er...driveable...and Matt knows it's no longer quite a show car.

(those of you who don't know and might care-I nailed a deer and then a guardrail in a '94 Justy going about 60MPH on the NY Thruway Thursday morning.)

OK,update that list.

Keith - 2 Cars, (a van and a trailer)

I registred two cars over the weekend. I'm gonna trailer our rally car down and my fiance will drive the furnace, I mean the 96GT.

I also registered for a camping space which sounds like it might not have needed, but for a few bucks I figured I would rather be safe than sorry.

Keith