Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 H6 Outback : Loud whine

I have searched on this board and found numerous threads on whining noises from the AT transmission but did not seem to find a definitive answer. So here's another try at that.

Have a 2001 H6 VDC. Have been the only owner since mile 0 so I know the full history of the car. Currently at 75k miles. All tires same size, always has been. Replaced all 4 at the same time twice so far.

At about 35k miles, I started a very soft whine at freeway speeds when I get on the gas. It goes away whenever I lift off the gas. Sounds like it is coming from someplace forward of the passenger compartment, sort of behind the stereo. At that time, took it into Subaru, they could hear it at testdrive, but not locate it when they had it up on the rack and running. As part of maintenance, replaced tranny and differential fluids.

Wind the clock forwards 2 years ... car is now at 75k miles. Noise is still there, only it has been getting louder and louder over this time. I hear it at city driving speeds now. Get on the gas, whine. Get off the gas and let the car coast (in "D"), whine goes away immediately. It is getting so loud now that I'm afraid something might break!

From what I could gather from other posts, it has to do with the loading of the differential gears. Ease off gas, no load from engine, so no whine. Get on gas, gears are loaded one way, whine comes back.

Does any other owner have the same experience? How much worse does this get? What, if any, breaks eventually?

(I'm in California/San Jose so if anyone else is close by and wondering about the same, we can go for a drive and abuse our ears!)

Thanks,

Paul

Forgot to add ... I have made multiple trips to the dealership for this to be checked out. Each time they hear it on the drive, but cannot find what is really wrong with it. Recommened change of fluids twice ...

SOA also came back and mentioned that it was "normal" drivetrain noise ...

All this was 10k miles and about a year ago ... the noise is really loud now ... I want to take it back again and see what they say this time. Car is past warranty but I'll keep my fingers cross that the record will show that this has been an issue for a while.

I have heard of one other car about the same year as yours with a whine. It was his ring and pinion they thought and in the end the dealer changed the tranny with a rebuilt. I think that one was a 2.5 though. Keep after them Paul becuse it really should not sound like a fire truck.

When SOA tells me something is "normal", I ask them to take me for a ride in one of their other "normal" cars! See my post above. SOA initially told me it was normal as well. If it was under the 60K drivetrain warranty and you have it on the service record, you stand a chance of at least sharing expense of replacement with SOA but likely you'll need to go to the mat with them for full reimbursement. It may help to have a good relationship with local dealer.

Forgot to add ... I have made multiple trips to the dealership for this to be checked out. Each time they hear it on the drive, but cannot find what is really wrong with it. Recommened change of fluids twice ...

All this was 10k miles and about a year ago ... the noise is really loud now ... I want to take it back again and see what they say this time. Car is past warranty but I'll keep my fingers cross that the record will show that this has been an issue for a while.

just had my car in for t belt replacement and the mechanic told me that i had a " roar" whenever he stepped on the accelerator and told me that whoever changed the air filter last didnt seal it properly ( me probably) and that was causing a noise on accleration, hope this helps. sometimes we look for complicated problems when they really are very simple with these cars.

Car may be past warrenty, but you noticed it while the car was under warrenty, so if stand your ground and make a stink, you may have a chance.

im going with a bad front differential

nipper

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same noise on my 2002 Outback H6. It came on at about 100K and is getting progressively louder. Dealer says its in the differential, so I should put up with the noise as long as I can because it's an expensive repair. I too would like to know if something bad could go wrong if I don't get it fixed. We want to keep this car up about 240K. We love it.

• 1 month later...

Confirmed that it is indeed the center differential that has gone bad. When car was on lift and "driven" with some load on the wheels (brakes on lightly), you can visibly see the center diff (attached to back of tranny) vibrating badly.

The downside to repair is that entire transmission has to be replaced. Yes, it sucks and I just paid the bill!

Apparently it does not happen all that often ... 1) Tech manager at high vol dealership was very surprised, and 2) They ordered a reman unit but Subary sent a new one as there were no reman units.

Does not make me a happy camper one but then again ...

Car drives much better now ... I almost forgot how quiet it used to be without the whine!

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear you are fixed up Paul, a rare problem.

Yeah ... but it still cost a bomb ...

To be frank, I quite had it with my 3.0 Outback. Sometimes I think I would have been better off if I bought a 2.5 instead of going all out and getting the H6 VDC model back in 2001.

Almost everything which set it apart as the top-of-the-line model has been one headache after another.

1) VDC system. There were bugs in the software and it took 4-5 visits to the dealership over 12 months to get this resolved. The error and warning lights keep coming on. I almost filed for a claim under CA lemon law.

2) Mcintosh sound system. Don't get me started ... they designed this with a mechanical pot for volume control (good). But it was not sealed (bad!). Dust (and static) would build up after 2-3 months, they switch the whole unit and it comes back after 2-3 months. Took 4 changes and finally, they redesigned it ... it is now a stepless sealed pot.

3) And now this VDC center differential issue ... arrghhh!

But on the bright side, I must say SOA customer service is pretty responsive. Over the past 4 years, I have had many interactions with them and they have been forthcoming in stepping up and trying to make good on these issues. Customer service one way or another. But if the product was built right in the begining, there would be no need for this!

Cheers,

Paul

It is the same tranny in a heavier car with a larger engine. This make me wonder if others will have the same problem later.

It does sound like your car had more than its share of gadgets and problems with them.

Did you happen to run the numbers on what the extra problems have cost out of pocket?

I put a bunch of money in my Forester to bring the service up to a good level. I just looked it up and I have put over six thousand bucks in it since I got it. Subaru refunded me about $1,200 of that.

It has been a couple of years since it had anything but an oil change and a $60 ox sensor. The ox sensor was scheduled out at 100,000 miles and I ran it a bit over that. The car now has 125,000 and runs as well as when I bought it. It's really starting to make me feel that I'm getting my money out of it again.

I guess they really don't build them like they used to. . . my 92 Legacy has 200,000 miles on it (or will soon), and of the cash I have spent on the car less than 500 has been for actual repairs (A clutch, brake pads, balljoints, a taillight, a thermostat, and a radiator cap. Oh, and a battery.). The only whine I hear when driving is from the Honda drivers behind me. . . :burnout:

where does the noise come from...b/c i have almost 200,000 miles on a 96 2.2 awd 5-speed i just bought...and whenever i accelerate i hear a noise from what it seems below the dashboard

/?? and like u sayd only when i accelerate when im off the gas theres no noise

The noise was coming from someplace behind the dash, down near the gearshift. That is where the center diff is physically located.

What you are describing sounds like what I experienced but you have a 5MT and I am not sure if the center diffs are the same. (I have a AT).

Cheers,

Paul

It is the same tranny in a heavier car with a larger engine. This make me wonder if others will have the same problem later.

It does sound like your car had more than its share of gadgets and problems with them.

Did you happen to run the numbers on what the extra problems have cost out of pocket?

I put a bunch of money in my Forester to bring the service up to a good level. I just looked it up and I have put over six thousand bucks in it since I got it. Subaru refunded me about $1,200 of that.

It has been a couple of years since it had anything but an oil change and a $60 ox sensor. The ox sensor was scheduled out at 100,000 miles and I ran it a bit over that. The car now has 125,000 and runs as well as when I bought it. It's really starting to make me feel that I'm getting my money out of it again.

Yeah ... sometimes I rather not add up the time and money though ... I bought the car new and know every bit of its history. The dealer printed up records for me and the stack was like an inch thick. (I had almost all services done at one place so they know the car pretty well.)

Going to keep driving this and see what else major breaks ... keeping my fingers crossed. There is now a strange rattle coming from the exhaust/muffler at back ...

Cheers,

Paul

• 3 years later...

Hello, I own a 2003 Subaru Forrester with 76,000 miles bought it with 68,000. After a year of driving it started to develop a whine towards the front passenger side. At first I thought it was the brakes. Boy was I wrong. I checked the front diff. fluid. and it was at the proper levels but there were some fine metal flakes in the fluid and on the drain plug. I took it to the mechanic and he informed me that the front transaxle(front differetial) needed to be replaced. A $2000 dollar repair job or more. He mentioned that it was rare for a subaru with such low mileage to have such a huge problem but I guess thats the luck of the draw.

Time for me to fix my car and sell it! Too bad I was hoping to own a subaru for a long time. Hope this info helps those with similar problems. :mad:

the original post is really old, but the auto's don't have a center differential.

as to your current issue with the front differential, that happens occasionally. Subaru transmissions rarely fail so your best bet is a used unit, they can be found rather inexpensively usually. that's a better option than fixing anyway. i've seen repaired front diffs fail soon aftewards, it's a tough repair to get right and other stuff can get damaged.

you can get a transmission for this car for $500. it's because they don't fail very often, there is hardly any demand, so prices are cheap.

the front diff is essentially part of the transmission, so replacing the trans fixes the problem.