Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru Owner and Concerned

I just purchased my first Subaru. It's a 2001 Forester S. I have owned a Toyota Corolla and put 183,000 miles on that and I hope to get the same out of this car.

The one problem that concerns me is that when I start it in the mornings, it doesn't start right up. It kind of chugs, I then turn the car off, then back on and it starts right away. Almost like a starter problem. It's not a 'click' sound.. You can hear the engine turning but it doesn't get to that point right away. I need to turn the say back, wait 2 seconds then start it back up. Is this normal? I am in NYC so the climate is not terribly cold (40-50 degrees)

It COULD be the fuel pump. First thing in the morning turn the ignition all the way to the "on" position but do NOT engage the starter. You should be able to hear the fuel pump coming on. About a two second wait for the fuel pump to fully pressurize is NORMAL for many Subarus. It was for my 99 Forester which I drove for 200,000 miles. It probably would've gone another problem free 50,000 miles. These cars have some very strange idiocentricities, but they seem to keep going on for a long, long time. Relax, enjoy, and come to appreciate their strange little quirks.

I think The Dude is correct. The car parking there overnight will de-pressurize the fuel system and you need to turn the key and stop a few seconds before you turn the motor on. Now if the car has the similar problem you descirbed when you park outside for very short time (like parking lot in a supermaket) then you have some other problems related to fuel pump.

I agree that the car is too young to have this kind of problem. I will try what you said tomorrow morning. See if that helps. I know this morning it took a real long time. It kept turning over and turning over. I really don't wanna bring it back it in but I may just for the piece of mind. I'll keep you update on my progress.. Thanks a million for your advice.

I just purchased my first Subaru. It's a 2001 Forester S. I have owned a Toyota Corolla and put 183,000 miles on that and I hope to get the same out of this car.

The one problem that concerns me is that when I start it in the mornings, it doesn't start right up. It kind of chugs, I then turn the car off, then back on and it starts right away. Almost like a starter problem. It's not a 'click' sound.. You can hear the engine turning but it doesn't get to that point right away. I need to turn the say back, wait 2 seconds then start it back up. Is this normal? I am in NYC so the climate is not terribly cold (40-50 degrees)

see, i hate it when this happens. someone sees the light and gets a subaru, but they get a forester. most likely the subaru with the worst track record.

it just seems like fuji dropped the ball on the forester.

you need to start simple for going into less common failure areas. i would not suspect the fuel pump to be a failure point this early on, anything is possible but fuel pumps very rarely fail on subaru's so it's a bit of a gamble to start looking there in my oppinion. most people on the old gen forum are running their 200,000 mile 20 year old fuel pumps still.

test the battery. make sure the connections to the battery are clean and tight.

when was the last time a tune up was done? spark plugs and wires? use NGK plugs and OEM Subaru wires or magnecor only, don't use anything from the parts store counter for plugs or wires.

how many miles are on the vehicle?

I bought the car from a Subaru dealer so I would think that all of that was taken care of (plugs, wires, etc...)

I got in the car today, turned the key all the way (without starting it) and waited a few seconds. It started up with no churning. I am still taking this to the dealer and will tell them to look at it.

This car has 55,000 miles on it...

I will keep you all posted and THANKS for all your advice on this... I hope this is a good turn out.

I guess we won't have to get into the definition of churn then. (chuckle chuckle.)

OK-I checked the battery and alerternator with a basic tester and they are both fine.

I took the car to the dealer where I purchased it today and they were SWAMPED with cars so I left.. I would have waited all freakin day... So I think I am just going to bring it in early Saturday morning..

Anyone know some other things that can cause this that I can check myself?

Sorry, I see that you did. I would look for leaks in the lines starting with the injectors. It is common for injector lines to shrink and leak in cold weather on many cars. This can cause bleed down.

I don't see any leaks at all. Could it be that the injectors are just a little dirty and need a cleaning?

If it starts with no churning if you hold the key on to build up fuel pressure it just has a tiny leak somewhere or a leaking check valve. If it runs fine when it starts its probably not an injector problem, but it could be a small injector leak. If it were my car I would start by claming all the injector and fuel lines and changing the fuel filter. If the car is on warranty I would just turn the key to build up pressure until the dealer had time to fix it for me. It can be just a bit tricky to find a small pressure leak or weak fuel pump. Dealers often don't want the owner to work on a waranteed car themselves.

If it starts with no churning if you hold the key on to build up fuel pressure it just has a tiny leak somewhere or a leaking check valve. If it runs fine when it starts its probably not an injector problem, but it could be a small injector leak. If it were my car I would start by claming all the injector and fuel lines and changing the fuel filter. If the car is on warranty I would just turn the key to build up pressure until the dealer had time to fix it for me. It can be just a bit tricky to find a small pressure leak or weak fuel pump. Dealers often don't want the owner to work on a waranteed car themselves.

YUP-That's exactly what I am going to do... Let the pressure build, start her up until I take it in on Monday. Thanks again.. Wish me luck

I bought the car from a Subaru dealer so I would think that all of that was taken care of (plugs, wires, etc...)

I got in the car today, turned the key all the way (without starting it) and waited a few seconds. It started up with no churning. I am still taking this to the dealer and will tell them to look at it.

This car has 55,000 miles on it...

I will keep you all posted and THANKS for all your advice on this... I hope this is a good turn out.

I I were you I would not make any assumptions but made sure the car is tuned up by the book. Who knows, maybe fuel filter is clogged up and never changed. Subarus are very sensitive to user errors (read neglect). I would not take any chances.

It's very difficult for me to make sure this is 'tuned up by the book'.. Remember that I bought it from a dealer and have a warranty on it. This isn't something I bought from the guy next door. Trust me, I wish I could check everything out myself. It's just not that easy living in the city either. My days of propping the car up on the sidewalk to drop the oil are over. I don't have a garage ...

Having personally worked on cars and busses on the street in Queens and Brooklyn I know what you mean.

Thanks guys. Now I'm gonna have nightmares. . . :eek:

Ok, letting it build pressure for a few seconds "fixes" the problem. Good, for now. I do not see if you mentioned how the car drives after starting. Is there any hesitation, or other performance issues? Is the churning only on the first start? Or anytime the car is left for more than, say, an hour? Also do not assume the dealer did a good tune up on the car. Quiz them. If they have not, then have them do so, including a fuel filter. When you take it in, have them check out the check valve for leaking or any fuel leaks in the lines. Sadly, Subaru dealers are notorious for giving poor service. Some are really good, many are really bad. What dealership? Perhaps someone on here has had dealings with them, and can give you a heads up on what kind of service to expect.

Cookie: You'll appreciate this..I had the hood up on the street the other day and one of NYC's finest, told me that it was illegal to do repairs in the street of NYC. I asked if I could come and use the garage at the Precinct. He laughed and said "I am only doing my job"... This is news to me..

This car drives wonderfully after I have that initial problem. This only happens after leaving the car overnight. If I am in and out of places, it starts right u p with no problems. The more I use it now, the more I think it's just me being a little paranoid about it. I am used to a Toyota Corolla where it starts up immediately. This engine is a little more powerful so I geuss I need to take that into account.

The dealer is Bay Ridge Subaru. They really sucked when I brought it in the other day. The service manager was very quick to tell me that he is "really busy"..and "there are a lot of cars".. I am still taking it in on Monday becasue the little storage compartment on the dash is off the track and I have no clue how to fix it. (gonna post about that shortly) The dealership as whole doesn't get a great review from me but their price on this car was better than most. I am going up to Vermont in 2 weeks so that will be the real test. Last year I was there, the Corolla had some issues with the -10degree temps. Let's see how the Forester does.

nykevins,

I hate to disagree with Cookie, but nether my 02 OBW nor my 97 OBW have to "churn a bit before they started". Its definitely not normal.

My '00 lights-up with one revolution, but my '02 seems programmed to take about 6 revolutions before it fires. I just assumed it was an oil-priming sequence because it's very consistant and doesn't change with temperature or the time interval since it was last started.

**** ******!