Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just replaced my Alternator in my 1996 LSI, it is an aftermarket one from R&S Strauss. This is my first alternator that I have ever installed on my own, Upon completion and turning the car on I noticed that the alternator got extremely hot. I am no mechanic but the thing is running hotter than the engine block itself, it seems to be working fine but I never noticed the previous alternator running soo hot. You cant even touch this thing for 5 seconds without getting burned. So my question is, is this normal for a alternator? Are these things suppose to run this hot? Or is this a sign that its a crappy after market one? I cant imagine a mechanical part running soo hot?

This is interesting to me as well. My Autozone alternator runs really hot as well. And I suspect the bearing is starting to make noises it shouldn't.

I'll have to check out the Subaru alternator option. Thanks for the tip.

Make sure the belt is adjusted right. If its to tight, it will cause extra heat in the bearings.

This is a dumb question but, how do you make sure the belt is adjusted right? This was my first attempt ever at installing an alternator. To adjust the belt all I did was pull as hard as I could on the new alternator to get it into positon and then tightened the bolt. I think I am going to just order a Subaru alternator, and take this as a lesson learned, not to mess with aftermarket parts. I didnt think much things could go wrong with an alternator.

One thing good to know is what the condition of the battery is in. It is a good idea to also replace the battery when replacing the alternator if the battery is more than 4 years old. The battery should also be fully charged when putting it in. If the battery is low on charge then the alternator will have to act like a battery charger. This puts more load on it than normal and can cause the problem you are having.

This is a dumb question but, how do you make sure the belt is adjusted right?

Not sure on your '96, but on the '00 it's something like: press on the belt midway between the crank pulley and the alternator pulley with a force of 10kg (22 lb) and verify that the belt deflects as follows:

replaced: 7 — 9 mm (0.276 — 0.354 in)

reused: 9 — 11 mm (0.354 — 0.433 in)

I generally SWAG this measurement. Also, if it squeaks, it's too loose.

I just replaced my Alternator in my 1996 LSI, it is an aftermarket one from R&S Strauss. This is my first alternator that I have ever installed on my own, Upon completion and turning the car on I noticed that the alternator got extremely hot. I am no mechanic but the thing is running hotter than the engine block itself, it seems to be working fine but I never noticed the previous alternator running soo hot. You cant even touch this thing for 5 seconds without getting burned. So my question is, is this normal for a alternator? Are these things suppose to run this hot? Or is this a sign that its a crappy after market one? I cant imagine a mechanical part running soo hot?

Altenators get VERY hot from power generation. This is normal. They can get 200 degrees f or higher. A hot altenator is a working altenator. Heat is a waste product of power generation.

Here is an example

http://www.delcoremy.com/Alt24SI.aspx

Also i am seeing over temp shutdown on the altenators set at 225 degrees F.

Alot of mechancial parts run hot, water pump, oil pump, your engine, the trannny can have incredibly high spot temperitures for seconds when clutches engage. Your brakes get incredibly hot too.

nipper