Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I hear ngk plugs here, but I went to the subaru dealer today who told me the oem's work best and to stay away from platinum because of the altitude here (i'm in wyoming).

Also, I installed a purolator pcv valve last week and I've read a few horror stories about how this increases oil consumption and that I should use oem for the valve as well. is this enough of a possibility that i should change it out?

Your expertise is appreciated :D

I would always use an OEM PCV; difference in price is minimal; difference in possible grief is unending. As for the sparkplugs, I've always used NGK non platinum with good success on EA81, Ea82, EJ22 engines. I know the newer engines require platinum plugs. Which engine are you talking about?

It's been said, but I'll say it again. Subarus like regular NGK plugs (the parts store here only stocks the "V-power" ones for the EJ cars, so I use those and they work just fine), and only OEM PCV valves. I put an aftermarket one in my car, and it burned oil immediately.

what she just said.

Subaru OEM PCV valve - and no you definitely did not do any harm to your motor, it's just the PCV. NGK is usually what Subaru sells as OEM equipment (i wasn't aware they installed anything else). used to be all NGK as far as i know. Subaru doesn't make spark plugs, so whatever the dealer carries can be bought elsewhere.

Bosch platniums are what I run. :D I'll never touch anything else! That's on an EA-81, an Air Cooled VW, and a SBC. Running platniums plugs of any kind will not hurt your engine. Platnium just means it's made of a metal that conducts electricity better. This will give you a cleaner more consistant spark to ignite your fuel with. It's like having speaker cables that have gold plated tips, gold conducts extremely well so they use it at contact points to transfer full clean power to your speakers. With that said it makes your ignition system more effective and will give the gas you put into the cyclendars more potential of being fully burned. Not all platnium plugs are created equal, some brands are extemely effective and made with better platnium metals. I myself have had the best luck with bosch, my brother on the other hand runs denso's.

As for the PVC vavle, that stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. When your motor runs, excess fuel that is not fully burnt along with some burnt waste slips past the piston rings into your crank case. The PCV vavle vents this toxic gas back into your intake to be reburnt and possibly used again. Venting your crank case increases your oil life, without a vent you will soon build up a brown sludge in your motor. If you are searching for power you will soon find that making an extra vent for your crank case that is seprate from your intake is a good idea (This would replace the PCV vavle alltogether). Beacause putting this used less effective gas back into your intake only prohibits overall your power (aka cleaner fuel).

Ways to get around wasting fuel.

1) Platnium plugs the high conductive material allows for a hotter cleaner spark that ignites your fuel for greater potential. (Gap them as suggested by car manufacture)

2) A higher rated coil than OEM, this makes a hotter spark that burns fuel more effeciently. Do not go to high if you run points though this can burn them up.

3) Larger less resistive spark plug wires, if they have lower resistance you will get less of a power drop between the distributor and the plugs, alike the others this will help burn you fuel more effectively.

4) a multiple spark ignition system, some of these run multiple sparks through 22 degrees of crank rotation... This is more likely to fully ignite your fuel.

5) Use a seperate air filter for you crank case breather, this stops your used waste from the crank case being recycled in your engine, it will also lower tempatures in the catalytic converter, seeing as their is less waist to be burnt up in it.

Also remember this when buying plugs, top performance isn't always the best thing. If you know anything about electricity you will understand that it will only jump the smallest gap it can. ie: stike the tallest object with best conductivity (lightning rods, telephone pole, flag poles, etc) So it should be easy to understand that having multiple tipped spark plugs is useless because it will only jump the gap to the tip that conducts the best. There is the slight exception that if you are running excessive and I mean excessive ammounts of high end coil power to your plugs that you can spark both of them.

These are just some tips and things I know and have had luck with.

Hope they help.

Peace, Fishums

Mr Fish,

Your plug advice is useless for newer subarus as they have

"waste spark ignition" and will eat through 2 of your single platinum plugs in no time.

If one wants to use platinum, only double platinum is an option on subaru. NGK calls them laser platinum ($7-12 a piece).

I just switched to laser platinum as they last 60000 miles and plugs are pain to change in subaru.

As for your PCV advice, you want us to vent the toxic fumes to outside air?

Platnium just means it's made of a metal that conducts electricity better. This will give you a cleaner more consistant spark to ignite your fuel with. It's like having speaker cables that have gold plated tips, gold conducts extremely well so they use it at contact points to transfer full clean power to your speakers.

Not true. Copper is a better conductor, platinum and gold just don't oxidise like copper does and therefore make better conductors in the long run. This is why the change interval for platinum plugs is longer than for copper plugs. But in terms of better spark, copper plugs are your best choice. If I have to replace them twice as often, so what? They're cheap. and better. Go figure.;)

Not true. Copper is a better conductor, platinum and gold just don't oxidise like copper does and therefore make better conductors in the long run. This is why the change interval for platinum plugs is longer than for copper plugs. But in terms of better spark, copper plugs are your best choice. If I have to replace them twice as often, so what? They're cheap. and better. Go figure.;)

Bingo. Copper is the second-best conducting metal on earth, silver is the best. Nology makes silver-tipped spark plugs with their selling point being that very fact.

And the OEM NGK Subaru plugs are THE EXACT same NGK plugs you get at Advance or whatever, even the same number, BKR6E11.

And yes, it's been reported that aftermarket PCV valves allow too much vacuum through and literally suck oil out of the crankcase and into your intake manifold. Go OEM on these also.

This "copper" everyone speaks of is the construction of the core and has nothing to do with electrical conductivity, but does has everything to do with broadening the heat range. All modern plugs use a copper core ...even the ones with iridium and platinum - TIPPED electrodes.

**** ******!

Bingo. Copper is the second-best conducting metal on earth, silver is the best. Nology makes silver-tipped spark plugs with their selling point being that very fact.

And the OEM NGK Subaru plugs are THE EXACT same NGK plugs you get at Advance or whatever, even the same number, BKR6E11.

And yes, it's been reported that aftermarket PCV valves allow too much vacuum through and literally suck oil out of the crankcase and into your intake manifold. Go OEM on these also.

I never said copper or silver were bad though.

Maybe instead of saying "Platnium just means it's made of a metal that conducts electricity better."

I should have said "Platnium just means it's made of a metal that conducts electricity better, than standard metal tips. Though silver and copper tipped plugs are your best options :rolleyes: "

Sorry for my useless advice.

Sorry I thought it was an upgrade and he was running non silver non copper non platnium plugs. I know they are an upgrade for my EA-81

The advice was if platnium is an upgrade go for it, if you are running better than platnium why would you down grade? This advice was for someone running less than platnium. If you can get a hotter cleaner more effective spark, is there any reason not to take it? I'm not talking welding arcs, but common!

like the motors I use them on:

SBC 350

VW 1650cc

VW 1950cc

EA81 1800cc

Honda B-16

Platnium was an upgrade for all of my motors, only the later one is somewhat modern though. All of which I noticed a power gain using bosch platniums, over ac delcos, champions, valuecraft, or any other cheaper brand.

PCV vavle = power robbing emissions, I still run a seperate air filter for mine. It gets me better MPG, and the oil stays cleaner, carbs stay cleaner.

It's prolly my mistake for replying in the new generation thread, I thought I was under the older generation. Your motors come stock with what I see as performance plug options goodies in my cars. Also you might not pass emissions if you remove your PCV valve. I'll go back to the old gen threads where I belong :-\

Aww, no one meant anything personal. Stick around, we like you around here! :) Most of the best gear-heads around here frequent the old-school forums.

Sorry I thought it was an upgrade and he was running non silver non copper non platnium plugs. I know they are an upgrade for my EA-81

The advice was if platnium is an upgrade go for it, if you are running better than platnium why would you down grade? This advice was for someone running less than platnium. If you can get a hotter cleaner more effective spark, is there any reason not to take it? I'm not talking welding arcs, but common!

like the motors I use them on:

SBC 350

VW 1650cc

VW 1950cc

EA81 1800cc

Honda B-16

Platnium was an upgrade for all of my motors, only the later one is somewhat modern though. All of which I noticed a power gain using bosch platniums, over ac delcos, champions, valuecraft, or any other cheaper brand.

PCV vavle = power robbing emissions, I still run a seperate air filter for mine. It gets me better MPG, and the oil stays cleaner, carbs stay cleaner.

It's prolly my mistake for replying in the new generation thread, I thought I was under the older generation. Your motors come stock with what I see as performance plug options goodies in my cars. Also you might not pass emissions if you remove your PCV valve. I'll go back to the old gen threads where I belong :-\