Ultimate Subaru Message Board

drive axle remove question

dirty cheat: cut off the inner CV boots and pull the joint apart :D:D:D

That's only going to work if the joint is frozen to the stub - I think his problem is getting the clearance to pull it off the stub... taking the joint apart would actually need more clearance than slipping it off the tranny.

That is a nice trick that I have used before to replace boots. Drop the y-pipe, and then drop the axle off the tranny - take the inner joint apart and slide new inner and outer boots on. Great if that's all you need to do. Gutting the cat helps to keep the passenger axle boot cool so it won't split too.

GD

you guys sure make changing a axle a big deal. This is ALL you have to do. take the tire off, take the castle nut off, take the caliper off, the rotor and the brake pad bracket off, take the two lower strut bolts out fo the knuckle assembly. Thats it.

You dont need to unbolt the top 3 strut bolts, or unbolt the control arm. There is no reason to do it. You will have more than enough room to pull the axle off the stub axle.

the easist way to go about it is to remove the bolt that holds the ball joint in the hub and lower the control arm then pull the axle out of the hub then of the stub axle simple total of one bolt one nut and a roll pin. trust me i do it every other day at work.
That's what I do.

the easist way to go about it is to remove the bolt that holds the ball joint in the hub and lower the control arm then pull the axle out of the hub then of the stub axle simple total of one bolt one nut and a roll pin. trust me i do it every other day at work.

You need to separate the ball joint from the hub before you pull the axle from the hub, right? Also, the Sunaru factory service manual also calls for removal of stabilzer link to the lower controll arm in addition to the ball joint separation from the hub. Is this step unnecessary for a Forester? I found that separation of the ball joint from the hub was difficult without demaging the ball joint boot.