Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ring of wear around me tires

the outside edge of all of my tires is balding quickly, the best way i can explain this is a ring of almost baldness around the edge of the tire. I see a ring of my accord too, but it just looks like a burn type of ring, not balding. my tires are inflated 35/34 THANKS

I'd say agressive driving too.....aren't you the guy who hit the curb and screwed up the OB pretty badly???? exactly. :rolleyes:

lol ya, thats all fixed up now, but i drive that car like 2 times a week max, would doing sets of donuts like 3 times total cause this?, they also have around 40k-50k on them. my accord and my parent's have it too but it just looks like a burn mark not wear.

Probably your alignment is out. Get it checked, and they'll let you know if there are other suspension problems too.

lol ya, thats all fixed up now, but i drive that car like 2 times a week max, would doing sets of donuts like 3 times total cause this?, they also have around 40k-50k on them. my accord and my parent's have it too but it just looks like a burn mark not wear.

Probably your alignment is out. Get it checked, and they'll let you know if there are other suspension problems too.
i wouldn't waste my money on alignment. it would be very odd for every single tire to wear the exact same and it be cause by alignment. usually one tire or two will show different wear with bad alignment. not them all, unless it's been seriously abused.

i never ever get alignments. i drive off road, in the snow, mud, drive over curbs if i need to, i've swapped struts, installed new suspension bushings, installed different and larger wheels and tires, even swapped control arms (a MUST for realignment *they* say), etc...200,000+ miles on one XT6 and more miles on other XT6's and my tires all wear perfectly normal.

i slammed into a curb while playing in the snow and bent my control arm. swapped in another one and put a ton of miles on that car, a number of sets of tires. some would swear and call me stupid for not getting an alignment. i should have been from the "show me" state, cause i aint seeing, my tires have always worn fine.

Outside edge wear is usually due to the tires being toe'ed in too much. Definitely check the alignment. I'm not sure what the exact specs are but if you set the toe to zero, you shouldn't have any problems. Incorrect camber will also cause uneven tire wear but not nearly as much as toe will. Also, usually camber will cause uneven wear on only one tire and make the car pull.

Let's see... You're 16. Yup. That explains it. Have you driven your parent's car? If you did, that would explain it too. You should trade in your Outback and get a Civic instead. Nothing's wrong with the car, but there's something wrong between the driver's seat and the steering wheel. :lol:

Outside edge wear is usually due to the tires being toe'ed in too much. Definitely check the alignment. I'm not sure what the exact specs are but if you set the toe to zero, you shouldn't have any problems. Incorrect camber will also cause uneven tire wear but not nearly as much as toe will. Also, usually camber will cause uneven wear on only one tire and make the car pull.

Yep - toe.

Likely aggressive driving as well.

If you continue to drive agressively, try a pound or 2 more pressure and increase negative camber - then set the toe as said, near 0.

There's some good reading at www.nasioc.com in the 'sticky' or threads of note in the steering suspension forum.

Plus, sometimes tires are made poorly - but most name brands are quite good nowadays. Manufacturers have been forced to reduce the use of VOCs and I've heard rumors it has led to increased likelihood of tread seperation as tires age - I dunno.

Ermm, doing donuts? Only the really serious engined Subarus can do this. An OBW wouldn't really have the power.

IF you are using the e-brake to do this: STOP !

Toe should be 0.0 all the way around.

As Texan says, a little negative camber could reduce the problem. And give far better handling.

Ermm, doing donuts? Only the really serious engined Subarus can do this. An OBW wouldn't really have the power.

IF you are using the e-brake to do this: STOP !

Toe should be 0.0 all the way around.

As Texan says, a little negative camber could reduce the problem. And give far better handling.

it was a wet parking lot(not very tight donuts, but kinda wide), can i adjust the camber/toe myself?

it was a wet parking lot(not very tight donuts, but kinda wide), can i adjust the camber/toe myself?

Toe probably, camber - well, you could max out both sides - but you wouldn't really KNOW they were the same.

Better have a shop do it - they can inspect for damaged parts/loose bushings while they're at it.

just my $0.02

Camber is easy. See the two large bolts that hold the strut to the spindle on all the corners? Loosen the nuts on them and one of the bolts is cam-shaped, so that as you turn it, the spindle tilts in or out. Make it so it tilts in.

Caster is non-adjustable on these cars, so you don't have to worry about it.

Toe is the biggest tire wear problem. If you drag your hand across the tire surface, from inside to outside and the other direction, and feel sharp edjes on the tread, you have a problem. the tread will look like this /l/l/l sawteeth.

Excuse me?

If you are trying to stop an uneven tyre wear problem you MUST get a computer guided alignment.

And yes, I too wear down a set of tyres within 25-30k miles. Evenly worn though.

do you race on a track? avg. tires have a thread wear warrenty of atleast 60k my crappy 35$ bf goodrich's have a 80k thread warrenty.

Let's see... You're 16. Yup. That explains it. Have you driven your parent's car? If you did, that would explain it too. You should trade in your Outback and get a Civic instead. Nothing's wrong with the car, but there's something wrong between the driver's seat and the steering wheel. :lol:

HA! Funniest post I've read here in a while!:lol: