Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!!! 1984 GL Digital Gauges (wont work)

I bought a 84 2wd subaru, mint, no rust, 80 000km, loaded, i have swapped in a 4wd tranny, lifted it and left the original motor in and all wired up (runs and drives great). there were only 4 wires going to the tranny and the spedo cable. 2 wires for the 4wd light and 2 wires for the reverse light. Now the digital gauges (spedo, tach, fuel, temp, etc.) dont work.... they either dont light up at all, or they are all garbled and a buzzer continuosly goes off. Like i said i didnt touch anything on the motor side. The only other thing there was, was the cruise actuator i removed under the hood, but even it didnt affect the dash when i plugged it in and unplugged it.

any help would be great! im am at a stand still.

what did you do with those wires? and is it possible you disturbed something in the center console?? The digidashes do seem failure-prone for whatever reason. - I think the usual culprit is loose solder joints, and/or overvoltage from a bad voltage regulator. - Does the car still start and run??

good luck!!

The early digidashes are extremely sensitive to any flucuation of voltage.

The buzzing you hear means the regulator in the dash is fried. If you can find someone in CN to fix it that would be to your benefit. Otherwise the wait here is long to find/fix one.

Stop what you are doing and IMMEDIATELY replace the alt with a known good one. Likely it has failed. The buzzer you hear is warning you of bad voltage to the dash. Most likely tho the dash is blown. Sorry, but there really is no good way to save them - once you let the magic smoke out they are done. Best thing for you is to get an analog cluster and spend a weekend (or five) with wiring diagrams to get it converted over. You'll have to replace the fuel level sender in the tank, and the coolant temp sender in the manifold. I've done it, and it's not terribly difficult, but I used a 1980 cluster because I like the way they look - that made the wireing a lot harder. Get an analog cluster from an 82-84 Subaru GL and it won't be too bad.

Finding a good replacement digi is possible, but they are getting very rare, and sometimes go for several hundred $$.

GD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
i never smelt a burnt smell or see any smoke.

the voltage with the car running is around 14.5V from idle to red line (measured with meter)

i dont get it?

Check for presence of AC voltage. If your diode(s) fry, you can still have near correct voltage (in DC) but it will put out AC voltage. That means destruction of sensitive electronics designed for DC.

I believe that is what GD is also refering to.

a lesson i learned about digi dash.

ok so i have a 83 with a digi dash from the week i bought it, it had problems like not reading things correctly. but anyways the first week i bought it i took it to show a friend and turn the ingition on and beeeeeep. i was like wtf. so i tried on off and all that. i ended up taking the whole cluster out and the trip computer fried a resistor and i mean fried it looked like it caught on fire.. so i just unplugged it. but then i didnt get a read out of anything but temp. i didnt relize it looped so just to let u know it has to have the plug for the digi dash to work. took me about 2 months to figure that out. it still decides if it wants to display the right speed or fuel.:banana: