Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 - important vaccuum lines

fbh

Hi folks,

What vaccuum lines on the EA82 intake manifold can I afford to dump? there's a lot of stuff running all over the place. This is on a HiCrappy-carbed EA82.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a service manual for the carb'd EA82? pref. a PDF download or something along those lines.

Cheers

if it doesn't go to the disty, or (maybe) the EGR, it can go - make sure your ASV's are thourghly blocked too

sorry, no ideas on how to get a pdf of a carb FSM online, the only ones I know/have access to online are for FI cars, I have my own 1985 FSM, ebay is pretty cheap usually - most any 85-87 should cover carbed cars

if anyone mentions removable lines that are MPFI related too, mention that as well as i'm installing an MPFI EA82 within the next few days.

which version? NA pre-87, turbo pre-87, NA 87+, turbo 87+??

EGR? ASV? :S might need explanations of what these are...

how about brakes?

cheers

A good rule of thumb is if you dont know what it is or does, dont disconnect/remove.

fyi your car may not have a egr.. depending on emissions standrards where your at

rllywgn

EGR? ASV? :S might need explanations of what these are...

how about brakes?

cheers

brake booster is a BIG hose - you should not consiter disconnecting it - no power assist on brakes is a BAAAD thing

EGR is the valve located on the passenger side rear of the intake manifold - you should see it easily - it has a tube that goes into the manifold near it from the head - it recirculates a small amount of exhaust gasses through the combustion chamber for a variety of environmental and driveability reasons

ASV's are a piece of crap that cause a lot of problems - look under the car, near where the exhaust flange connects to the head - on both sides you should see metal pipes comming out of the head near the flange on either side of the car - they are held on with two ten mil bolts, loosen them on each side, and shove a quarter in, retighten

the car will run quieter and smoother

sorry, did not realize you were intl - don't know what your emissions stuff is

ASV's are a piece of crap that cause a lot of problems - look under the car, near where the exhaust flange connects to the head - on both sides you should see metal pipes comming out of the head near the flange on either side of the car - they are held on with two ten mil bolts, loosen them on each side, and shove a quarter in, retighten

the car will run quieter and smoother

That's some interesting stuff - I assume you mean shove it a quarter inch in? what is an ASV?

sorry, did not realize you were intl - don't know what your emissions stuff is

Heh, quite allright - I don't think we even have emissions testing, just as long as the thing doesn't create a black line visible from space that marks your daily commute :banana:

which version? NA pre-87, turbo pre-87, NA 87+, turbo 87+??
installing a 87.5 spider intake EA82 (nonturbo) MPFI engine in the next couple days. looking to clean it up as much as possible in terms of hoses and lines and such.

ASV - do MPFI nonturbo motors have this? is that what that stupid metal fitting is that screws in by the head? it's only on one side, drivers side?

i thought THAT was the EGR....XT6's are so much simpler when it comes to vacuum, hoses and lines.

You don't need the EGR. You do need: distributor, brake booster, and vacuum reservoir lines. The one to the distributor comes from the front of the carb; the other two from the manifold. Just trace back from the brake booster and from the reservoir (a white plastic cylinder on the firewall on the passenger side (at least in the US)).

And the reference to a quarter is to a quarter dollar (US) which just happens to be the right size to block off the ASV at the exhaust port.

You don't need the EGR. You do need: distributor, brake booster, and vacuum reservoir lines. The one to the distributor comes from the front of the carb; the other two from the manifold.

EGR also comes from the carb - higher up above the vacuum advance for the disty. Only receives vacuum after throttle is opened a bit father than for the disty.

Someone above said don't touch it unless you know what it does - that's about the size of it. If you want to know what it does, post a picture and I or another board member will tell you. There are too many systems on there to list here.... and I'm tired of explaining this over and over. Do a search as this has been covered weekly for years.

GD

One of my subbie projects is going to be a EA82T engine run by megasquirt including spark.

Gonna get rid of everything I can - evaporation system, EGR, whatever I can, see if the megasquirt can manage the engine alone (with a knock detector).

So am totally interested in people's views on what neccassary and what isnt.

the thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53477

covers some of the issues.

One of my subbie projects is going to be a EA82T engine run by megasquirt including spark.

Gonna get rid of everything I can - evaporation system, EGR, whatever I can, see if the megasquirt can manage the engine alone (with a knock detector).

So am totally interested in people's views on what neccassary and what isnt.

the thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53477

covers some of the issues.

Megasquirt won't need any of the stock vac lines hooked up expect for:

Stock idle valve (unless using FIDLE or stepper motor)

Map line to MS (new)

Fuel pressure regulator

Turbo wastegate lines

Additionally you'd want to keep the brake booster line.

Megasquirt won't need any of the stock vac lines hooked up expect for:

Stock idle valve (unless using FIDLE or stepper motor)

Map line to MS (new)

Fuel pressure regulator

Turbo wastegate lines

Additionally you'd want to keep the brake booster line.

Cool -its going to look ver neat under the bonnet without all the gubbins :brow:

Plus with the disty gone its gonna look even smoother!

Sorry didnt mean to highjack with megasquirt stuff, I'll start a dedicated thread when I'm closer to actually doing it. :)

• 5 years later...