Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 (Others?) Cam Pulley Tool

Thats pretty cool!

Any chance you could tell me/us all the distance between to holes?

I'm comming up on a timing belt change and need to make a new tool.

(If I had a spare cam pully around, I'd copy yours :D )

Cheers,

Chris

I'm sure it's metric, but by my tape it is 3 1/16+ across, and 2 3/8+ between the four holes. I didn't want to mess with machining or anything, (which would have been more elegant), so did it with bolts and stuff. Hope it works!

Jon

Is this tool required to do the timing belts? I havent gotten that far in my engine build yet, but not quite sure what that tool would be used for. I see it in the FSM and all... but maybe im missing something.

Thats a good idea, i shoulda grabbed an extra cam sprocket from the JY.

-Brian

Not exactly required, but definitely helpful.

Is this tool required to do the timing belts? I havent gotten that far in my engine build yet, but not quite sure what that tool would be used for. I see it in the FSM and all... but maybe im missing something.

Thats a good idea, i shoulda grabbed an extra cam sprocket from the JY.

-Brian

Never done it "right" until I made this tool. I made one out of a piece of wood with two dowels and glued a hex socket to it. Worked twice. since then have been using an adjustable "pin" wrench (used for water and fuel caps on boats) and just relied on my guess on torque. Always seemed to work, but felt bad about not doing it right. Tool is used so you can take the slack out of the belt, but still have the right amount of tension on it. The manuals give values for both new and used belts.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon

Any chance you could tell me/us all the distance between to holes?

I'm comming up on a timing belt change and need to make a new tool.

(If I had a spare cam pully around, I'd copy yours :D )

Take a piece of paper and put it on your cam pulley. Then use a pencil or similar to mark the holes and you have a perfect template.

Whats it for? tightening the tension pulley's?

-Brian

:confused: I'm with him....

I am still scratching my head on the part of ....How does it work?

I love the homemade end of it... have done belts once... torque? I just kind of went with..... seems to be right....

Picture of it in action?

Thanks,

:confused: I'm with him....

I am still scratching my head on the part of ....How does it work?

I love the homemade end of it... have done belts once... torque? I just kind of went with..... seems to be right....

Picture of it in action?

Thanks,

Like this attachment

Jon (Rolaids are my friend)

post-3814-13602760651_thumb.jpg

I honestly DO NOT see a reason for this tool. I've done over 200 timing belt swaps and have never needed one. There may be a certain torq number for new and old belts, but the question is, does it really matter?

With my open covers and lifted wagon, I dont really care if I snap a timing belt. it takes about 10 minutes to put a new set on. :headbang:

I honestly DO NOT see a reason for this tool. I've done over 200 timing belt swaps and have never needed one. There may be a certain torq number for new and old belts, but the question is, does it really matter?

With my open covers and lifted wagon, I dont really care if I snap a timing belt. it takes about 10 minutes to put a new set on. :headbang:

Not saying it is a "must have" or "must" do. Just that I felt like doing it right, and thought of this way for no expense. I work on my daily driver, and other people's rigs, and - the books give values, so thought I'd use them. Just thought others might find it useful.

Jon

it makes it easy to use a torque wrench to tension the belt.

For that matter, it makes it easier to use ANY kind of wrench to tension the belt, as opposed to tweaking them with screwdrivers or punches in the holes.

Many people who have done enough TB jobs do it by feel and I think there's nothing wrong with that. I've done exactly two EA82 TBs and one EJ22 TB (MUCH easier IMO!) and prefer to use a torque wrench.

Thanks Pappy for the photo attachment of tool in action.

ahhhhh... a picture is worth a thousand words.. "doh"....

Even if a person can go by feel... I like the scratch built stuff.

If nothing more then too "Stick it too the man." and able to build it yourself.

Quick, simple, may have to add one to my tool box. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...