Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 1600 lift?

ev0014

does/has/can you lift a 79 1600? I mean, by themselves they're pretty dang capable offroad(well, in the sand anyway, anything else and there would be some clearence issues... hence the lift) so I'm curious if anyone has lifted one, or if it can be done with the suspension? or even a body lift?(except that body roll would be terrible... but that's ok I guess) cuz I need to get some bigger tires under this thing! any info is much appreciated! thanks!!

Ev0014

I'm pretty sure no one makes a lift for the 70's cars, but it would be pretty easy. Their just like the 1800's.. You will probably want to get a D/R out of the 1800 as well. They make for much better offroading.

I've seen a 78 Brat with 31" tires.. looked pretty sweet.

anything is possible... but it shouldnt be that hard. if you have access bandsaw/cutoff saw and a drill press its not very hard at all to make your own lift. you will need a welder however to build any kind of strut top extensions and also to extend your steering shaft. suspension lifts arent very feasible on subarus because you wont gain much downward travel and you will eat through axles at an alarming rate.

front part of the lift is easy, body lift it 3" using square tube steel blocks(just like any other subaru lift)

rear lift: whole different story, look at how the independent torsion tubes attach to the body, it can and has been done by mudrat 79 multiple times, ask him, I beleive he even has a whole rear end setup sitting around at the moment...

do it, but with the 1600 and single range 4wd you will hate bigger tires and the taller gearing, so at the same time go for the 1800 and the 4 or 5spd hi/lo.

front part of the lift is easy, body lift it 3" using square tube steel blocks(just like any other subaru lift)

rear lift: whole different story, look at how the independent torsion tubes attach to the body, it can and has been done by mudrat 79 multiple times, ask him, I beleive he even has a whole rear end setup sitting around at the moment...

do it, but with the 1600 and single range 4wd you will hate bigger tires and the taller gearing, so at the same time go for the 1800 and the 4 or 5spd hi/lo.

I have 78 brat with a 3" lift, run 205-70's or 80's (can't remember), weber. It behaves like a typical 4 speed, so I just make more of a run at stuff. It's not my daily driver right now. I do like the dual range better, but the '78 still does real well non the less.

DaveAP,

Did you keep the rear independent torsion tubes on your '78 brat? pictures? I didn't in my '79 brat, went to an ea81 rear torsion tube.

the single range 4wd does get the job done, as you are evidence, but if I was building a lift I'd also try to get ahold of a d/r trans, where I am at mud tires are mandatory, and the smallest super swamper is ~27/8.5/14, I think that's roughly a 235/75/14...

later on

DaveAP,

Did you keep the rear independent torsion tubes on your '78 brat? pictures? I didn't in my '79 brat, went to an ea81 rear torsion tube.

the single range 4wd does get the job done, as you are evidence, but if I was building a lift I'd also try to get ahold of a d/r trans, where I am at mud tires are mandatory, and the smallest super swamper is ~27/8.5/14, I think that's roughly a 235/75/14...

later on

I didn't build the lift. I'd have to go over and look at it. One thing I do remember, they welded a new stud for the bottom shock mount about an inch higher than the old one. I've never ran bigger than the 205/14's on it. At full crank it rubs a little in the front with no fender trimming. One of these days I'll get some pics of it.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm... well what about just wider tires? or maybe a little bit bigger by cutting the front fenders and hammering the crap outta the rear wheel well's? would I be able to fit much of a bigger tire in there? I think my tires now are 155/60/13 or around there. They're really skinny and only like 20-21 inches tall... I dont even really need the height I just need the width. any ideas? thanks!!

Ev0014

for the rear the fenders aren't the problem... you'll notice on the back that your control arm has a big arse joint where it connects to the rest of the suspension... and this joint overhangs the rear tire... so you can only get bigger tires until they hit that spot...(until you go with a lift of course)

i think the max size tire you can fit under there is 205/60/15... i've seen people run that size before... but you couldn't even fit your pinky finger between that spot...:-p