Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I ....um....killed it (90 loyale spfi 5sp4wd)

As I was pulling into the driveway tonight, I downshifted and the car died. I tried and tried to restart it, but it won't. I popped the hood and checked timing; still right on. I'll be checking spark and fuel delivery tomorrow. The weird thing is that the parking brake, brake fluid, and stop light warning lights are on. If anyone has any suggestions, I will happily entertain them. As an extra, the car has 318,xxx, and removed timing covers. Thanks in advanced for your replys.

Pull the distributor cap & take a look at it. If it's old, it could have just worn out, or the center button could have fallen out (I've had that happen before).

Every time my Subaru won't start, it's been distributor related.

-=Russ=-

Pull the distributor cap & take a look at it. If it's old, it could have just worn out, or the center button could have fallen out (I've had that happen before).

-=Russ=-

i have seen this before, on a loyale at jon's auto and truck. he got a 92 loyale and a parts car 86 sedan. in case the otor was bad anyway.

i took of the cap and found the middle little nugget had fallen out. jon was surprised, gave e 10 bucks on the spot. gave e the parts car(runs and drive) and sold the loyale for $2,300

Might also want to check the wires behind the kick panel above the clutch pedal. I was starting through an intersection once and right when I hit the clutch the car died so I let it back out and it caught again. Pulled over and checked those wires and sure enough, some of them didn't have insulation. Slapped on some electrical tape and it hasn't happened since. 93 loyale spfi 5mt 4wd by the way.

:banana: well, if anyone cares, I fixed it. The fuel line pulled out (by the pump). I tightened the clamp up good, and I tucked the line uo so it wont hang on the snow anymore. I still don't understand the warning lights on the dash, when the car started they went out. Thanks for all your help.

:D Ross

I still don't understand the warning lights on the dash, when the car started they went out. Thanks for all your help.

That's normal. They should come on when the key is turned but the car isn't running - sort of a "test mode" so you can make sure they're working.

-=Russ=-