Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Swap Misc. Questions

Yo! Hauling rump roast on my 2.2 swap in my '92 Loyale, and think I got everything I need to buy figured out, right now I'm still just formulating exactly what I need to do and parts to buy while I finish taking it apart.

The questions:

1. I was planning to not hack up or remove any of the stock wiring, including the ECU. Is there any problem doing this? Any suggestions as to where I should mount the ECU for the EJ22 that is hidden and convenient?

2. I was planning on using a Walbro Universal In-line fuel pump, and put it in the engine compartment, just before the fuel filter. Any problems/comments/suggestions?

3. My EA82 came with one mechanical cooling fan, and one electric one. Is it possible that the stock electric one will provide sufficient cooling for the ej22 by itself, with the ea82 radiator? Or should I DEFINATELY invest in an aftermarket fan?

4. Will the stock y-pipe from an ej22 car work with my setup, or will there be ground clearance/any other kind of clearance issues? Should I have a new exhaust build from the manifolds back, or from an ej22 y-pipe back? I'm assuming the ej22 y-pipe includes the cat, like an ea82 y-pipe did/does.

5. How do I hook up the power steering?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

3, the EA-82 fan won't fit, unless you mount it infront of the radiator and make it a pusher.

4, stock Y pipe is fine

5, the stock lines may fit to the EJ pump, but you can cut the tube and flare it with the stock nut to a more manageable length.

Get an EJ radiator. Sooooooooooo much better than the EA82 rad, which is in my opinion not even adequate for the EA82 engine. You'll have to wedge the fan in front like Noah said, as there is about an inch of clearance behind the rad when it's all done.

Your stock SPFI fuel pump should be up to the task. The rated pressure for SPFI is 28-40ish, and the EJ22 needs 30 something psi.

The EJ Y-pipe will work just fine. You might have to clearance it around the crossmember, but that's not a big deal.

When I get a chance to clean up my install, I'm going to try to put the ECM under the dash on the passenger side. There's plenty of room there, and there are already some holes in the firewall.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice about the fuel pump Snowman. I was just going to upgrade it, since everyone else says too, but I guess I'll try it that way first, since that would really make me feel safer without homemade fuel lines and wiring and stuff snaking around my engine compartment.

Another question: I haven't bought any repair manuals yet, for the wiring, I was just going to buy a chiltons/haynes for the 93 legacy i got my car out of, and another for my car. I used to have a manual, but it got destroyed when, uh, my other subuaru caught on fire....

Do the manuals include pinouts? I could just go look, I know, but I'm lazy.

And one more question that's off topic. How in the HELL do I get the "new user" tag out from below my name? I can't believe I can't figure that out. I feel retarded.

power steering lines from EA will bolt right up to EJ pump, i did it. you need to manuver the PS lines and bend them slightly to make them fit, be careful not to crease them. your name will change when you get to about 300-500 post count, maybe less, cant remember. the ecu and STRIPPED wire harness fits nice and snug behind the glove box on top of the heat ducting, theres also a nice convienent ground point there too, not to mention the big hole in the firewall that you can stuff your wiring through the grommet. you have to strip the harness, no way around it, sorry. EA rad. works fine for me, but if you want more peace of mind, go with the EJ rad. try to get a EJ rad. from a 90-91 legacy, the bottom mounts are the same distance apart, but are off to one side by like an inch, and its a little taller. stock Y-pipe is adequate, but you need to cut it, and extend one side by like an inch and a half for it to line up with the EJ heads. i suggest gutting it before you put it back on, you will also need to weld in a o2 sensor, or if you have the o2 sensor bung, put the EJ o2 sensor in it. ebay has steel o2 sensor bungs for likk $8-$10 shipped, look around.

~Josh~

Another question: I haven't bought any repair manuals yet, for the wiring, I was just going to buy a chiltons/haynes for the 93 legacy i got my car out of, and another for my car. I used to have a manual, but it got destroyed when, uh, my other subuaru caught on fire....

Do the manuals include pinouts? I could just go look, I know, but I'm lazy.

The Chiltons manual has the engine control wiring diagram you will need. It is way too small to read right out of the manual, so blow it up with a copier. Then go through and white out and correct all of the wrongly color-coded wires on the diagram (there will be a few). The Chiltons manual covers almost every model between 1980 and 1996 so you won't need another manual for wiring diagrams.

i dont think the P/S EJ lines will wrap around the crossmember like the EA lines naturally do. they might but i wouldnt put much faith in them being easily routed. bolting the EJ pump to the EA lines is a sintch, pretty much cut and dry.

~Josh~

Thanks for all the info guys. BTW, my question was about the stock Ypipe for the EJ22, not the EA82. But everyone seems to agree on that. Not everyone seems to agree on the PS lines though. I threw a quick glace at them, and they sure don't look like they would work. I was thinking something along the lines of I'd cut the rubber part of the stock ea lines, and then cut the ej22 lines in the same place, and take them to the parts store and have them fit them together with their...whatever they use to press hydraulic hoses. But if they just work, then that's great.

New question: is it safe to hook up the stock alternator charge wire to the alternator on the ej22? Or is it too much? I was just going to hook the stock charge wires from *BOTH* engine harnesses to the battery, and hardwire a charge wire. Any comments on that?